plan obsolescence

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cinch, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Cinch macrumors 6502

I own the 1st generation MacBook, purchased in June of 2006, and I'm using Tiger OSX 10.4.11. I went and spec out the new nano on apple.com today, and to my surprise OSX 10.5.8 a.k.a Leopard is required. I don't use my computer for much other than surfing the web and watching TV shows on Hulu etc. Listening to iTunes and using the web for news and tv constitute about 99% of my computer usage at home, so there is no need to upgrade IMHO. My MacBook works well as is, granted the battery only last a few minutes now, but I never unplugged.

It turns out I can't purchase any of the current iPods except for the Classic unless I upgrade which cost $169 for the OSX Box Set. To further insult my "old" MacBook, I can't buy an iPad nor an iPhone, current model of course. An one more thing, I can't use iTunes 10 because it requires 10.5 or later.

I am not alone here, because I believe there are a significant albeit minority of us still using OSX Tiger. I take pride in keeping my MacBook running, thank you very much. I don't want to "recycle" my MacBook nor sell it, because it works fine!

GM (General Motors) invented plan obsolescence, but Apple took this idea to new heights! Shame on you Apple!!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Tech progresses

You can't honestly expect that 2010 devices need to be capable with an OS from 2005 do you?

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Unfortunately this is called the business model. Apple are there to make money, thus they need customers to buy/upgrade their machines.

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It's unreasonable for you to expect new technology to be compatible with old. And for what it's worth, your computer is very old considering how quickly technology advances.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL!
    I can't run a horse and buggy on the freeway because it can't meet the minimum speed limit.
    I can't use phone menus with a rotary-dial phone.
    I can't watch HDTV with a tube-type TV with rabbit ears, with or without tinfoil.
    I can't use my old cellular "bag phone" with today's cellular networks.
    I can't run Microsoft Office 2007 on Windows 3.1.
    Etc., etc., etc.

Times change. Technology changes. You have to keep up. It's not planned obsolescence; it's progress. 10 years in the auto business is like 5 months in the computer world.

It's not reasonable to expect hardware and software makers to ensure their products are backwards compatible forever.

6. Cinch thread starter macrumors 6502

Window XP

New iPods support Window XP, and Window Xp is certainly older than OSX Tiger, but who cares.

I appreciate all of your inputs. Thank you very much.:)

There is one last question I want to pose.

In this "Great Recession" that we are experiencing (personally i think it is a start of a depression), how many of you here think you can continue to upgrade/purchase a new computer every couple of years? Renew your iPhone contract with $100+ per month? Yes, it is easy if you have a job, but what happen if your job is threaten or you get layoff? What then?

I'm thinking ahead to a time where money is tight and in limited supply. IMHO, ipods and iPhones will be the last thing on our collective minds in the coming years.

Last laugh?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I can only answer for me; not for others.
    I only replace/upgrade as needed. I'm still enjoying my Early 2008 MBP with a matte screen and replaceable battery on Leopard. There's nothing in the unibodies or Snow Leopard or iTunes 10 that makes me want to change what I have just yet.
    I don't have or want an iPhone, iPod or iPad. It's too hard to read those tiny screens and I can't imagine trying to surf the web with them! That's what I use a computer for! I don't need or want internet access on my cellphone, and even set up my account to disable text messaging. I use a cell phone for phone calls. (Bizarre concept, I know!)
    I can't recall how long it's been since I've had a job, since I've been self-employed most of my business life. As long as I kiss up to the boss, I won't fire me! :D
    As long as I can still buy Harleys and put gas in 'em, I'm happy! :cool:
    Still laughing, so far, but who knows what tomorrow holds?

8. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I don't know how much ram you have but you could get the snow leopard upgrade disk (you can install just fine no need for leopard) it costs like 30 bucks it's not very expensive

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

3 simple steps to make it work:

1) Stand up and go to the Mall.
    2) Purchase a $29 Snow Leopard-DVD and go home
    3) Insert the DVD, hold the "C" key while powering on the MacBook, Choose your language, choose your hard drive and install.

You may want to 4) install more RAM, which I'd suggest you anyways, if you didn't already do so.

Boom, iPod Nano working on a MacBook.

10.4: 0.55%
    10.5: 1.73%
    10.6: 2.59%

If you remove all Macs that have <867MHz PPC processors, you'll see <0.1% for 10.4.

10. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Bingo. OP, your computer isn't obsolete, and it can run the latest OS. It's kind of ridiculous it took THIS many posts to point out that a 30$ upgrade will solve your problem. Instead of jumping down your throat they should have offered useful information.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Actually it only took 21 minutes.

12. DraziGuy macrumors member

Am I alone in thinking 5 years is not long at all? Especially when I am highly doubtful that Ipods and Mac OS are so different today than 5 years ago that supporting it would be a horrible burden. It's got to be an artificial limitation, as opposed to changes in architecture that would make it cost prohibitive to support.

13. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I'll admit I missed that, however it would have been more convenient to post a sentence. And the whole thread is littered with chatter not relevant/helpful in anyway.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

I agree with you. They havn't changed the hardware much, and making drivers is not difficult, especially when they basically have only a few laptops and desktops to support every year. It's artificial because there's too many fanboys who buy a new mac every year or two.

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I agree, a direct sentence would have been more helpful, but as I just posted that information in that other thread though, I found it easier to link.
    And in any way I din't think someone was unable to read six sentences, even the ones that don't involve chatter, which I still can't find.

16. cubeeggs macrumors member

I’m using a late-2006 MacBook (the model right after the OP’s) and it runs Snow Leopard just fine. Leopard, the version the new iPods require, is now nearly three years old and runs on Macs from as early as 2001. Quit whining about “planned obsolescence” and upgrade your damn software. $29 for Snow Leopard is a deal.

17. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Really, you can't find trivial talk? There is plenty of posts in this thread that have nothing to do with helping the OP.

trivial |ˈtrivēəl|
    adjective
    of little value or importance

The posts hold little value to the OP, you can slice it anyway you want.

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

My reply holds value, at least I think that. But you're right, one should never have to read more than two sentences to get to a point.

Screenshot of that long and chattery thread I linked to.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, let's not get off topic, the OP hasn't even responded to the SL Upgrade DVD recommendation yet.

19. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I was referring to the chatter in THIS thread.

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry I misunderstood. Btw, the OP invited the talk about "plan obsolescence", thus many of those replies.

I guess the OP will not be back anyway (just writing it to get her or him back).