Plan of Attack: Getting a 6+with in store pickup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cdub2235, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Cdub2235 macrumors member

Hi all,

I've seen some posts about ordering online and then choosing in store pickup.

I have a question about the in store pickup. When you select this option are you given any indication that the store will have the phone you ordered?

For example

In-Store Pickup
    [ enter zip code ]

Available for pickup at these locations
    *here (5.0m) away
    *there (10.2m) away

Is it like the above? Or is it kinda a gamble and you just "hope" they have the configuration you ordered online in store when you go check?

I just got back from the WestField Vally Fair mall in Santa Clara, CA. It was crazy. You can barley even move in the store and there was a line outside. I'd like to avoid that and just order online when they first get a new shipment then waltz in and grab my phone :)

2. mb335 macrumors member

At this point, I ended up ordering online and waiting for the 6+ to ship. I didn't want to go through the hassle to stake out every Apple store in the SF Bay area in hopes to pick one up right away.

I was fortunate to get a 6 Plus doing the pre-order and delivery from the other day, but ordering another one will likely ship end of October, perhaps there is a chance of getting it sooner. I suppose I'm not in a huge rush.

3. Cdub2235 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah after seeing what I saw today I might do the same. I was able to get a little time with the phone in the store but there was the pressure of other people waiting in line to see the phone too. With the time I did get though I was instantly sold :p

I read a post earlier about someone ordering online and then doing in-store pickup. I wouldn't mind going to the store KNOWING I'll have a phone even if I have to wait 20-30m...but if I buy the phone online then select in store pickup as an option without confirmation that a phone will be in stock ready for me when I get there I'd defiantly rather not do that and just wait until early Oct to get one.

4. Cherylm macrumors newbie

I'm in the Bay Area also. After having no luck at Oakridge or Valley Fair, I used the Apple app this morning and it showed that the Berkeley store had the phone I wanted (6+ silver 64). A little farther than I wanted to drive, but I ordered and it was ready by the time I got there. They said their stock gets refreshed everyday. They also said that they had 6 of the phones that I wanted... Not spoken for yet, but reserved for people who order online. They said they would not sell them to people who were just walking in. Btw... Palo Alto initially showed that they had the phone, but by the time I got to the end of my order, it was gone :(

5. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

If it's available and you go through the process of the purchase, you'll get an email when it's ready to pick up with an order number.

I'm pretty certain as long as you get that email, the phone is held for you and pretty much yours. The line for that is much shorter.

6. bruce0987 macrumors member

7. Cdub2235 thread starter macrumors member

Ahh gotcha...So last night I was going through the process with the Apple Store, with Safari and not the APP. I add the phone to my cart and everything and even went up to checkout I think? but I didn't see any option like I mentioned above

In-Store Pickup
    [ enter zip code ]

Available for pickup at these locations
    *here (5.0m) away
    *there (10.2m) away

Did you see this using the app?

Hmm so that's what I'm kinda trying to figure out. If I can get the phone a few days/weeks early by checking store inventory online then I'd like to go that route.

Is that what you mean? Or is it more of like you choose in-store pickup. Complete the purchase. Then get an email with options like *storeA *storeB has the phone ready for you to pickup? My only worry with that is that I'll order the phone then it won't be at a store close to me for weeks/or a month. I'm probably over complicating this.

I'm trying to find out if its something like buying from BestBuy Nordstrom or other retail places where you can enter your zip code the website runs an inventory check and says yes or no we have it in store abc X miles away.

Thanks all for the replies, good info!

8. sprungson macrumors member

I highly recommend store pick up.

The trick is to wake up early or stay up late when the refresh their inventory.

I woke up this morning at 6AM, and chose the model i wanted (64GB, iPhone 6+, space gray, AT&T) and then clicked on the store pick up. It gave me two available stores to pick up (Palo Alto and SF). I chose Palo Alto and had four people in front of me for the "pick up" line versus the walk in line with 300+ people.

I was able to walk out with an iPhone 6+ within 9 minutes.

9. Cdub2235 thread starter macrumors member

awesome, thanks!

10. Cpeye1987 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I went online to the Apple Store store and played around with the colors and sizes and on the bottom of the webpage it shows the pick up availability and they all said not available until I selected a silver 64 plus. I ordered it with an option to pick it up at the 5 th ave store in nyc.... Ordered at 8:20pm got a email saying to come in to get it an hour later. Been playing with it ever since :)

11. kevroc macrumors 6502

Yes, it's that simple.