Plan of attack to get 3G iPhone - suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrbdmb, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I have now decided to move to AT&T to get the 3G iPhone - I live in a 3G area and I get a 25% corp. discount, so the 3G is much more attractive for me than the 2G. I just have to decide how to get there, and also move over my wife's line. She is not interested in a iPhone at this point, but does want to switch now, as her current Verizon phone is acting up. My current choices are:

1. Get the wife a RAZR and myself a 2G now. Return the 2G in July for a 3G. According to the Apple memo on BoyGenius I can do this by paying a 10% restock fee. (Perhaps the restock would be waived if I ask nicely?)

2. Get the wife a RAZR and myself a 2G now. Buy a 3G in July and sell the 2G on eBay. With the price of used 2Gs right around $400, I'm not sure this is worth the bother, and 2Gs may drop further in price in the next month.

3. Get the wife a RAZR now, skip the 2G, get my 3G in July. Only problem here is that I'm giving Verizon $50 for another month of service for my line.

4. Wait until July to buy both the RAZR and the 3G. Considering the wife, not really an option. :D

Any comments or suggestions welcome. :apple:

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

4. Wait until July to buy both the RAZR and the 3G. Considering the wife, not really an option. :D
    This is probably the best choice since some of the details are still fuzzy on "upgrade". If you wait, you will avoid all the headaches.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I agree. Seems like a lot of hassle. Just wait until July 11 and get it done in one trip to the store.

That's what my girlfriend and I are doing. We're both tired of T-mobile and our contracts will both be done (very conveniently :)) in early July

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

You can go into AT&T and ask if you can get a cheapo phone now (so your wife can get a new phone), then switch to the iPhone when it comes out. Might cost more doing that, though, since they probably won't give you a free phone now and let you get an iPhone in a month.

Or try finding an old, used phone (or maybe even your current one) that will work with an AT&T sim card, then switch now.

5. jrbdmb thread starter macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Decided to wait for the 11th to buy both ... thanks for the feedback.