Plan of attack to get 3G iPhone - suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrbdmb, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

    jrbdmb

    Joined:
    May 19, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #1
    I have now decided to move to AT&T to get the 3G iPhone - I live in a 3G area and I get a 25% corp. discount, so the 3G is much more attractive for me than the 2G. I just have to decide how to get there, and also move over my wife's line. She is not interested in a iPhone at this point, but does want to switch now, as her current Verizon phone is acting up. My current choices are:

    1. Get the wife a RAZR and myself a 2G now. Return the 2G in July for a 3G. According to the Apple memo on BoyGenius I can do this by paying a 10% restock fee. (Perhaps the restock would be waived if I ask nicely?)

    2. Get the wife a RAZR and myself a 2G now. Buy a 3G in July and sell the 2G on eBay. With the price of used 2Gs right around $400, I'm not sure this is worth the bother, and 2Gs may drop further in price in the next month.

    3. Get the wife a RAZR now, skip the 2G, get my 3G in July. Only problem here is that I'm giving Verizon $50 for another month of service for my line.

    4. Wait until July to buy both the RAZR and the 3G. Considering the wife, not really an option. :D

    Any comments or suggestions welcome. :apple:
     
  2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

    FarSeide

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Earth Lane
    #2
    4. Wait until July to buy both the RAZR and the 3G. Considering the wife, not really an option. :D
    This is probably the best choice since some of the details are still fuzzy on "upgrade". If you wait, you will avoid all the headaches.
     
  3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

    soberbrain

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    #3
    I agree. Seems like a lot of hassle. Just wait until July 11 and get it done in one trip to the store.

    That's what my girlfriend and I are doing. We're both tired of T-mobile and our contracts will both be done (very conveniently :)) in early July
     
  4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

    Dimwhit

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #4
    You can go into AT&T and ask if you can get a cheapo phone now (so your wife can get a new phone), then switch to the iPhone when it comes out. Might cost more doing that, though, since they probably won't give you a free phone now and let you get an iPhone in a month.

    Or try finding an old, used phone (or maybe even your current one) that will work with an AT&T sim card, then switch now.
     
  5. jrbdmb thread starter macrumors 6502

    jrbdmb

    Joined:
    May 19, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #5
    Decided to wait for the 11th to buy both ... thanks for the feedback.
     

Share This Page