Plan on iPhone4s vs. Unlocked on iPhone4 for frequent traveller

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sunsnewmac, Oct 7, 2011.

1. sunsnewmac macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2007
    Big decision! I'm ready for an iPhone but...I can't stomach a plan. I don't actually live anywhere--I travel constantly. Over the past 2 years I've traveled non-stop, living in dozens of different countries. Currently I'm in North America, and may be here for up to a year ,but not necessarily all in one place. So you can see why I do not want a phone plan and prefer an unlocked phone. I currently use a pay-as-you-go dumbphone. It's cheap but I can't live without an iPhone any longer!:rolleyes:

What should I do? Get the new iPhone on a plan? What about roaming fees? Yikes!

I prefer the new phone because I want it partly for the camera (my only other camera is bulky). The new camera sounds great. Otherwise, I just want it for basic web surfing, email, social networking, and the occasional photo upload. I'll rarely make phone calls on it, but I might use text messaging every now and then.

After holding off so long for the upgrade (I've been waiting a long time--never had a smartphone at all!), I'd feel really disappointed to buy the old iPhone. There is also the issue of less initial cost outlay when buying a "subsidized" phone. But that might come back to haunt me if I can't get out of the contract, can't unlock the phone to travel, and am paying roaming...

any thoughts??
  2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2007
    I'm in the same boat...

I'm thinking of buying the iPhone 4S in Canada and having a friend ship it over State-side. I'm just afraid that the phone won't work with Korea Telecom or T-Mobile(US)...