plan to access data while Mac in for repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by btownguy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

So I'm switching over to a Mac and I'm thinking about data backup and recovery. I've got a new MacBook Pro and I'll be connecting a 1Tb external drive for Time Machine. I will also use either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to do a clone backup once a week to a separate external drive that I will leave locked up at work (offsite). But...

If my laptop were to die and I have to get Apple to repair it, I understand that I could be without my computer for possibly weeks. How can I get to my data if I don't have another Mac at my house? Are the clone backups of CCC or SuperDuper accessible through Windows, at least to pull out individual files?

In my Windows world, I always have a couple of computers laying around and if I lost a computer (or drive) it was no big deal to just access a backup image I created with Acronis from another computer and pull out files I needed to work on.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Suppose you had a burglary / fire , none of your additional PC's would help. You also need (or should want) offsite backup as well.
    Plenty of choices, Mozy, Amazon etc.

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

My offsite backup is the external hard drive that will have the clone (CCC or SuperDuper) that will stay in my desk at work. My question is, if there's a problem with my Mac, will I be able to access any of the data in the backup image from one of the many Windows machines at my disposal.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are utilities that you can install in windows that allow you to read OSx disks. Look at MacDrive for example

5. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Instead of online backup, why not run a wire to your neighbor's house to an HD and vise versa? great off site backup for you and your neighbor.