plan to buy a macbook/mac air, pls advice

gypsypunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
everywhere
i am planning to buy a macbook or mac air... i haven't been into macs for the last few years and totally clueless about how-tos or even features...

my needs:

i need a mac where i could connect my cannon cam for video use... currently, it has max 4GB memory card, so, would the mac support a longer video recording?

in case I would opt for an mac air, is there some low-costing handy videocams it could support for a longer video recording?

please advice

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
Other than for portability, don't go with the MacAir. It has limited connections for devises, no optical drive and limited hard drive size. Best bet is either Macbook if funds are limited, or MacBook Pro if you have the funds.

gypsypunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
everywhere
Other than for portability, don't go with the MacAir. It has limited connections for devises, no optical drive and limited hard drive size. Best bet is either Macbook if funds are limited, or MacBook Pro if you have the funds.
i had the macbook pro quoted and approved (its work related)...

since i would be using it on field, it's why i am considering portability

thanks!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Agree completely. If you need power, performance and portability, go for the MBP; I have one - it's an excellent machine, powerful, great performance, superb screen and is attractive aesthetically. However, the MB would probably suit your needs better if cost is an issue.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you choose.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Agree completely. If you need power, performance and portability, go for the MBP; I have one - it's an excellent machine, powerful, great performance, superb screen and is attractive aesthetically. However, the MB would probably suit your needs better if cost is an issue.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you choose.
Unless you have a need for a dedicated graphics card then there is no need to spend extra money on a MacBook Pro. MacBook is just as powerful for general computing tasks and it is more portable.

Go with MacBook.