Plan to get iPhone, do I really need 16 GB version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J M Floyd, Jun 19, 2008.

1. J M Floyd macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I plan to get an iPhone, but I am not sure if I really need the 16 GB version. I am a physician, so I plan on using my iPhone as a phone and as a PDA holding medical programs like Epocrates. I don't listen to music, so I don't need space for music. However, I have maxed out the internal memory of my current smartphone (Treo 650) and cannot run any new programs that require internal memory. I anticipate many new iPhone medical applications in the future, but I don't know how much space I need. What do you recommend I should get, 8 GB or 16 GB?

JM

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I recommend the 16GB version. You are going to have the iPhone for a while and will eventually build up your collection of apps and data. Thousands of developers are working on apps for the iPhone, and out of those thousands are probably alot of people working on medical apps that would be beneficial for you.

You also might find alot of other stuff in the Apps Store that you like. You never know, if you are going to pay $200, why not $300? And also, the medical apps probably require more storage than most apps. So yeah, 16GB would be wise.

3. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Highly doubtful, especially with no music on there.

If it's not going to be used as an iPod why not another 3G capable phone with removable storage?

4. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

Are you seriously implying that the only advantage the iphone has over other 3g phones is its functionality as an ipod??? Some of the iphones best features are its browser, wifi ability, and the brilliant app store functionality that is coming soon. The ipod functionality is of minimal amazingness beside the other features.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

If you like to watch movies or any type of video, I say 16gb. Video actually looks great on it and you will kinda get addicted to watching it. Like someone else stated above also, there will be more and more great apps as time goes on and even though most won't be that big, you don't want to be running out of room...... plus if you get 16gb, you have the choice to go white if you want.

6. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I am asking the same question. I decided I will make up my mind when, i see the app store, and get a feeling for how much space most of the applications take up. My brother is a doctor, and is gonna just get the 16 gig, cause he figures as long as he is paying 200 bucks, why not 300. The extra space may be of benefit someday. I however, am a little short on additional cash right now, so app sizes will be my deciding factor (and i do listen to music) rather than dropping another 100 for space i might not use.

7. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I'm getting the 16gb. I have about 8gb of music so that leaves half free for video/and or apps etc...

Every person has different needs. But if you can afford the extra $100 then definetely get the 16gb, It will benefit you in the long run.

I had the 8gb 1st gen iPhone for about a year, and i managed syncing and "choosing" what I wanted on it. But it will be nice just to be able to have everything on the phone.

8. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

If he is a doctor I'm sure a hundred bucks more would be nothing.

On topic: go with the 16gb, its better to have extra space than run out right?

9. neogod macrumors newbie

I have a 16GB and with my Apps, movies and music I have on there, I'm barely using half the space. True I can fill it up with music if I want, but my whole thoughts on that is, How many CDs am I really going to listen to? So I put my newest on there and that's the same with movies. I find that Apps take up almost no space at all. I'm sure there are a potential, but anything text based is going to be measured in mere Kbs where the largest may get to a half a Gb. I doubt many will be even that large barring games.

10. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

16gb seems like overkill for you. if you have no music or media then 8gb should be fine.

11. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Did you watch the WWDC keynote? looks like there's some great med apps in the pipeline.

Anyways - get the 16 - it's only $100 more, and you can never have too much space. That way you won't have to worry. It's possible some new apps eat more space than others so it's always good to have it lying around. Plus, you might start listening to music or putting movies on the iPhone once you realize how easy it is!

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely, the 16GB is gonna' work well for you. I currently do a bunch of research and turn them into PDF format docs (no pun intended), that way I can review them at a later date while riding the BART Train in the San Francisco Bay Area Monday thru Friday during my 2-hour roundtrip commute. I'm looking forward to all the medical apps, then I can convince my brother to switch to the 3G iPhone. :cool:

13. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

i would deffinetly recomend the 16gb.. because you might use it for more than you are planning on using it.. and will require that extra space.....:apple::apple:

14. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Get the 16GB. I have the 4GB and really regret not getting the 8. If/when I decide to upgrade to the 3G I will get the max drive space available.

Not gonna make that mistake twice!

15. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I have an original 4gb.

When I travel, I load 2 movies (2x 750) and 2Gig of music. I could use more, and with the ease of loading and unloading these types of files (through iTunes), 4G has been more than enough for me.

Not sure what amount of information you may be storing but ALWAYS get the largest capacity phone you can. Mo info = good. And for $100.00 more? Get the most for your buck.

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The iPhone SDK is allowing programs to occupy up to 2GB. The formatted disk space of a 16GB is probably 15.2GB so...

17. MacMaad macrumors member

I would recommend the 16GB version for a couple of reasons. First, because as time goes on most of us find a use for all that space (even when it seems huge at first), and because applications traditionally get bigger and bigger. I know they are limiting to 2GB right now, but that may not always stand as the apps get better and better on this platform. Second, because at some point you may want another one, and it's likely that by the end of the year the standard will be 16 and 32GB models. You may want to sell your original model and it will have more value with more space. Just my .02. :)