Plane with 155 passengers disappears in Brazil

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
After colliding with a private jet mid air, Brazilian airline Gol has disappeared off radar and feared to have gone down in the Amazon Jungle.

"Gol flight 1907 left Manaus in the afternoon but did not arrive in Brasilia as scheduled", a spokesman for the Manaus airport said.

Plane such as this one:

Attachments

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Abstract said:
A collision with a private jet in mid-air? Dang, the pilot should open their eyes! It's probably hard to miss a big plane coming at you.
Private jets aren't very big planes, a 737 easily dwarfs almost any private jet. Plus, it's really tough to determine distance/depth in the air, not to mention the fact that it's the ATC's job to make sure planes aren't close enough to have even the remote possibility of a collision.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Amazing that the private jet was able to land. I also wonder about the status of ATC over the Amazon...

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i hope everyone's alright and they find the plane and all the passengers.

i understand that we are able to build these massive machines and do all this amazing stuff (like launch tons of metal into the air at really fast speeds) but a computer is no substitute for human attentiveness.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Here's an updated article which seems to raise more questions. Apparently, the small plane (Legacy) was piloted by a U.S. citizen. How did they manage to emergency land with a damaged wing and tail, after a mid-air collision?
The Estado news agency quoted Col. Ramon Bueno, head of region flight protection in Sao Paulo, as saying Legacy was piloted by an U.S. citizen, who had left from the airport in Sao Jose dos Campos, near Sao Paulo. The Legacy suffered damaged to its wing and tail.

He told the news agency a mid-air collision was "inexplicable."

"The two planes are very modern and have anti-collision systems, which sound an alarm to alert the plane to any obstacle," Buena told Estado.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
That sucks..I hate hearing about plane crashes. I was on 4 planes this past week...only had a problem with one. It seemed to need new brakes but at least the problem only affected us once we landed safely on GROUND! ;)

I hope some people end up surviving this crash. Gosh, That was a BRAND new 737-800 plane. SO terrible.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Just saw it on the news. Apparently they aren't sure now whether it was a mid air collision or not.

The biggest problem I have with flight crashes is the amount of loss of life. Seeing all those relatives is quite moving...

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
xsedrinam said:
How did they manage to emergency land with a damaged wing and tail, after a mid-air collision?
Well, Boeing/McD-D engineers were surprised to hear about an F-15 that landed with the entire starboard wing missing, but that has no bearing on this at all.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Kingsly said:
Talk about applying full port-side roll!

I do hope they find survivors. Though, in the middle of the amazon I doubt that will happen. :(

I just don't know how there are ever survivors in plane crashes. HOPEFULLY these peope are ok...it was a new plane with the latest technology.

THey need to get help for them quick too just in case people survive. The problem with being in the middle of the amazon would be insects---don't they kill more people there than anything?? I watched some thing on the Science Channel about that.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Abstract said:
A collision with a private jet in mid-air? Dang, the pilot should open their eyes! It's probably hard to miss a big plane coming at you.
Visibility out of most fixed wing AC is not good.

Depending on the altitude and type airspace, ATC plays a key roll in separating AC. Don't know about over the Amazon.

Article doesn't give much to go on.

I feel for those passengers and crew members. Especially now that the wreckage has been found in an inaccessible part of the Amazon. I would be surprised if there were any survivors.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Ouch. From my (super special) wire services, looks like there was 155 souls lost. The aircraft was only 17 days old, a brand new Boeing 737-8EH SFP, with a seemingly full load of 149 pax and 6 crew, 2 cockpit and 4 cabin. The registration number appears to be PR-GTD.

It crashed into an Embraer 600 Legacy, piloted by 2 Americans.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1118628/M/

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
sushi said:
Thanks. Sad.

Very interested in seeing if the planes did clip each other or not. Seems like the aviation authorities are not sure.
Oh how awful. I am so sad about this, especially after looking at the photos of the awaiting family and friends. Not that this helps, but it sounds like they would have all died instantly with the estimated impact speed.

I just don't get how the BIG jet could not withstand the hit yet the small jet made it back to the airport. Anyway, plane crashes usually take quite some time (sometimes up to a year) to complete an investigation. I went over to airlinedisasters.com forums to see if there was any information yet but then I started reading about all the other crashes. :( So sad.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
This is the largest airline disaster in Brazilian history. I'm sure the recovered blackbox will reveal much. It is a sad time for surviving family members.

One of the eeriest taped recordings I've ever heard was the frantic cockpit dialogue just before Japan Airlines crashed in to a mountain back in '85, but the moment doesn't seem appropriate to post the audio link of it.

"On August 12, 1985, Flight 123, a Boeing 747 bound for Osaka International Airport, Itami/Toyonaka, suffered a crippling decompression shortly after takeoff from Tokyo International Airport, Ota, Tokyo, lost all its hydraulic systems and, after attempting to limp back to Tokyo, crashed into a mountain ; it was the worst single-aircraft disaster in history (and the second-worst air disaster in history); 520 out of 524 people on board died (excludes an unborn baby who died). Rescuers indicated that fewer people would have died had rescuers gone straight to the crash site instead of waiting until the following morning."
Today, October 1, '06 Japan Airlines Corporation merges with Japan Airlines International to form a World Alliance carrier called JAL.

I still believe air travel is the best way to go, in fact we're flying out tomorrow, international. But these kinds of events always bring pause.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Microsoft behind the software fault.. Nah I shouldn't joke about this things but its the only way i stop myself from getting scared of planes.... :(

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
xsedrinam said:
One of the eeriest taped recordings I've ever heard was the frantic cockpit dialogue just before Japan Airlines crashed in to a mountain back in '85, but the moment doesn't seem appropriate to post the audio link of it.
This particular accident is really sad.

The US Army was ready to assist in search and rescue with a helicopter unit here in Japan. This unit had a MEDEVAC capabilities with an outstanding staff. Additionally, I believe the AF and Navy helicopter units were also ready to assist. However, the Japanese delayed asking the US Government for help.

Later, they found out that some folks had miraculously survived the crash but bled to death. If the Japanese had asked for assistance, some of those may have survived. So very sad.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
sushi said:
This particular accident is really sad.

The US Army was ready to assist in search and rescue with a helicopter unit here in Japan. This unit had a MEDEVAC capabilities with an outstanding staff. Additionally, I believe the AF and Navy helicopter units were also ready to assist. However, the Japanese delayed asking the US Government for help.

Later, they found out that some folks had miraculously survived the crash but bled to death. If the Japanese had asked for assistance, some of those may have survived. So very sad.
Oh I did not know those details of the accident....but I read about this accident years ago. I also read the transcript of the voice recorder---the pilots were panicked and trying to turn the plane around to get back to the airport. Chilling. :(

Cube54

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Canada
Update!! Update!!

A free-lance writer/staff member of the New York Times Newspaper was on the other airplane involved in this.

His story is on the front page of the on-line version today (Tuesday, Oct. 3) Includes photos of the damage to the other plane. Scary story.

http://www.nytimes.com/

Read: On the Road: Colliding With Death at 37,000 Feet, and Living

Note: Free registration may be required to view the article.