Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
A little bit of a detour, but did anyone catch NPR's Science Friday last week? There was a segment called "For Planet-Seakers, a Cautionary Tale" where they talked about the "discovery" of Planet Vulcan inside Mercury's orbit and how Einstein destroyed the idea. All of this is based on the same orbital mathmatics that Brown is using to find Planet 9. Very interesting lesson in history.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
A little bit of a detour, but did anyone catch NPR's Science Friday last week? There was a segment called "For Planet-Seakers, a Cautionary Tale" where they talked about the "discovery" of Planet Vulcan inside Mercury's orbit and how Einstein destroyed the idea. All of this is based on the same orbital mathmatics that Brown is using to find Planet 9. Very interesting lesson in history.
Thanks for that, really interesting listening to that over my break. :)

Mahrisi77

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2023
Is it possible Planet 9 got ejected from solar system, if so would the dwarf planets continue their eccentric orbits or eventually over time return to a normal orbital pattern?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Is it possible Planet 9 got ejected from solar system, if so would the dwarf planets continue their eccentric orbits or eventually over time return to a normal orbital pattern?

Good question, because it would then cause the entire Kuiper Belt to readjust, which would in turn cause a redesignation of all of the dwarf planets. We would still need to figure out why Pluto, let alone the entire belt has an elliptical orbit instead of a circular one. If we go on that premise, we would also have to ask what would have caused it to be ejected.

A theory could be that there were two other planets outside Neptune's orbit that collided, and that collision caused the other trans-Neptunian objects to be ejected plus change their orbital path. But either way it would cause another conundrum: If Planet 9 still maintained its orbit and nothing is in the path of its orbit, it would meet the 3 criteria for being a planet, but the other TNOs would not, making them still to be dwarf planets.

BL.

Reactions: Herdfan

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
omg you mean you really believe space and science works the way it was shown to you back in middle school lol?

wow haha
Going from the Sun revolving around the Earth to the Earth revolving around the Sun to a sun revolving around the Sun

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

While I don't like feeding n00b necromancers reviving 6 year old threads with their very first post I do like Rick and Morty references.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Herdfan

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
So I read one of those things that pop up on FB that Planet 9 may be a primordial Black Hole with 5-15X the mass of Earth about the size of a grapefruit.

So something we will never be able to actually see, but may see its gravitational effects.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
So I read one of those things that pop up on FB that Planet 9 may be a primordial Black Hole with 5-15X the mass of Earth about the size of a grapefruit.

So something we will never be able to actually see, but may see its gravitational effects.

If that were the case, wouldn't any of the trans-Neptunian objects in and outside of the Kuiper Belt (the dwarf planets, Sedna, Orcus, etc.) be pulled towards the black hole instead of staying in its elliptical orbit around the sun?

BL.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I'm in defense of Pluto's status and place in Astrology, at least. No matter what astronomers chose to call it now and its lost planetary status. More and more planetary /astronomical objects of interest are discovered however, and how we are linked and affected by them, are a study that changes as we do.
Hopefully Earth doesn’t lose its status as our home, not just yet anyway.
Looking forward to when our alien buddies will consider us mature enough to get to know them more though. I wonder what status they have given our beautiful planet and us?

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
If that were the case, wouldn't any of the trans-Neptunian objects in and outside of the Kuiper Belt (the dwarf planets, Sedna, Orcus, etc.) be pulled towards the black hole instead of staying in its elliptical orbit around the sun?

BL.

That all depends on the mass. A black hole with say 10X Earth mass is exactly the same as planet with 10X Earth mass. So it may not be big enough to do more than tug slightly on them, which where the whole predictions of Planet 9 come from in the first place.

Here is an article on it:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.