Planet X - 10th Planet Thread - Merged

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I'm already hearing a lot of people want Pluto scratched off the list, so there'd be 8 and not 10 planets. Personally, I don't understand why, I mean if it orbits the sun and it's big, it's a planet. Should be an interesting debate for the scientific community to tackle.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
A lot of these objects being discovered are getting increasingly closer to Pluto's size. Now it looks like this one is substantially larger. There are probably thousands maybe millions of them out there - so if we use that criteria for defining a planet - we could have a solar system with thousands maybe millions of planets. :eek: :eek:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
10th Planet Found!

NASA has the press release on their website.
Also here are the pictures of the yet-to-be named Planet X

Check it out.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Yeah just read about that before i log in to Macrumors...pretty interesting...
btw, i was wondering if there is any website anyone know that is related to space? News and stuffs... Besides NASA, i know one website, http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ that i check out for news...any recomendations?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
There was talk about another planet being discovered before this one - and there's no info on size or mass.

[edit]I see that the other site has the specs on the planet. 1.5 times the size of Pluto might actually be enough for it to be a planet - cool stuff.

D

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
DarkNetworks said:
Yeah just read about that before i log in to Macrumors...pretty interesting...
btw, i was wondering if there is any website anyone know that is related to space? News and stuffs... Besides NASA, i know one website, http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ that i check out for news...any recomendations?
No, but thanks for that link. I do like the NASA site too though.

NASA TV use to put me to sleep at night. That channel could be so much more, why is it dry as dirt?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I was just reading about this at Space.com. Interesting stuff. Perhaps even more interesting:

Alan Stern, of the Southwest Research Institute and leader of NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto, predicted in the early 1990s that there would be 1,000 Plutos out there. He has also contended, based on computer modeling, that there should be Mars-sized worlds hidden in the far corners of our solar system and even possibly other worlds as large as Earth.
Imagine - 15, 20, 100 planets? Amazing, if true.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
emw said:
I was just reading about this at Space.com. Interesting stuff. Perhaps even more interesting:

Imagine - 15, 20, 100 planets? Amazing, if true.
That would be amazing...and all balls of ice. You could set up a nice business there fueling ships in and out of the solar system with all that Hydrogen :D

D

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
This seems pretty major. I know I grew up loving space, and now that the foundation of our 9 planets is rocked, i don't know how I can go on.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
That sure makes me want to add "so far as we know" to most of my sentences, so far as I know. I would only wish that for the medical and pharmaceutical industry.
X

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I hope they come up with a cool name too. I would hate it to be just someones last name.

Or maybe google could pay like 20 billion dollars to name it google ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
You could set up a nice business there fueling ships in and out of the solar system with all that Hydrogen :D

D
yeah, but imagine the delivery times on that fabled PowerBook G5. heheh

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Counterfit said:
You mean comets? ;) :p
The Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud is a disk-shaped region past the orbit of Neptune extending roughly from 30 to 50 AU from the Sun containing many small icy bodies. It is now considered to be the source of the short-period comets.
Given that there are many of these small icy bodies, it wouldn't be a far stretch to find larger objects. And in planet formation theories, most things you'll find that far from the sun are going to be dusty ice balls.

Space.com has some good stuff on it and other objects...

Stern stopped short of calling it one of the greatest discoveries in astronomy, however, because he sees it as just one more of many findings of objects in this size range. Last year, for example, Brown's team found Sedna, which is about three-fourths as large as Pluto. Others include 2004 DW and Quaoar.
And its at a distance of 97 AU (97 times the distance from the Sun to Earth) and at a 45° angle to the plane of the ecliptic. That's really odd.

D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Basically the planet is 3 times farther away from the Sun compared to Pluto, meaning the 10th planet is pretty fricking far away!

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
good discussion, although my thread in current events was 6 hours earlier.

I think this is cool just to hear what names they come up with!

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
stubeeef said:
good discussion, although my thread in current events was 6 hours earlier.

I think this is cool just to hear what names they come up with!
whoa, my bad. I a did a search on 10th planet, and then scrolled down current events and community discussion.... yet I still missed it. :eek:

Here I thought I was so clever to report something first :eek: