Plannin to Purchase SSD for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dukey, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Dukey macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

So after reading a bunch of post on SSD, including the sticky up top, I wanted to make some last minute clarification before I ordered one and installed it.

So Own a mid-late 2011 MBP
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB of RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

I currently have a 500gb 5400rpm HD and I was thinking of remove the CD Drive and placing a 250GB SSD there, making the SSD my main drive and my 500gb HD secondary. That is my plan but I am in no way sure if that is possibly in MBP though I've have stories of people doing so (I'm not too worried, as long as the ssd fits and remains the main drive).

I was looking into the intel

Intel 520 series (I've heard really good things)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167086

OR

OWC
    240GB Mercury EXTREME™ Pro 6G SSD
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMX6G240T/

I plan to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my current desktop to the new SSD.

I was just wondering What was the best SSD for a mid 2011 MBP(I also heard good stuff of Samsung and Crucial)? Also wanted to know if anyone had experience using these drives? Thanks

2. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

It is completely possible to replace the optical drive in your machine with a SSD. You need some sort of optical drive bay to install the drive in to in order to put it in the machine, something like this:

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/
    or
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

I put the SSD in the original hard drive spot (and the platter drive in the optical drive's place), as some SSDs cannot be firmware updated when they are not in the original spot, and others (in my experience) don't play well, don't mount, aren't seen by the system, when they are not on the initial hard drive controller.

I wouldn't get an OWC SSD, stick with Intel, Samsung or Crucial. Value for money, I like the Crucial m4 series.

3. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

There are a lot of threads that these bays do not deliver the same performance as the main bay.

I have the same 2011 MBP and replaced the 5400 with a Samsung 840 500GB SSD.

R

4. Dukey thread starter macrumors member

I read alot of good things about the Samsung 840 and also a lot of good things with the intel 520. Hmm I remember reading a post about the intel 520 being somewhat incompatible with late 2011 MBP... Anyone have experience with this? Leaning slightly more towards Intel.

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Based on my research and feedback on these forums, I've come to the conclusion that the OCZ Vertex is the best option. Top notch speeds, easily updated in OSX (some brands cannot be updated in OSX), incredible durability and an unparalleled warranty....however it is a little bit more expensive than the competitors.

Second best option would be the Crucial M4. Above average speeds, easily updated in OSX, price point is very fair, reputable brand.

When I pull the trigger on a 13" MBP I personally will be adding the OCZ Vertex.

6. imorton macrumors 6502

I have an early 2011 13" MB Pro and I was debating purchasing a SSD between the M4, the standard Samsung 840, and the Samsung 840 Pro.

Budget wise and for my performance needs, I just ordered a 250g Samsung 840 SSD. It was a very confusing decision, but for $149 from BuyDig.com I couldn't resist.

I hope this helps, IAN...

PS: I will be doing the dual SSD setup shortly :)

7. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

That sounds like a great deal! However I heard that between the Samsung 830 and the 840, the 830 is better. On top of that, I heard between the Samsung 830 and the 840 Pro, the 840 Pro is better.

Again, this is just from feedback I've read on these forums in various posts. Also a drawback to Samsung is they cannot be updated in OSX and requires Bootcamp or a Windows machine.

Here's 2 Threads with information that I base my posts on here

SSD Benchmarks: [LINK]

Mixed Drive [HDD + SDD] setup info: [LINK]

8. Rabbleboy macrumors member

Samsung 830

I have recently swapped my 750 GB drive in the Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15.

Same specs as yours with double the Vram and slightly larger HD.
    I found a Samsung 830 - 256 GB SSD to 234$ (which in Denmark is fairly cheap), which I swapped in easily and it worked flawlessly from first reboot.

I decided to do a fresh install, as I like to gain the best out of new hardware. Time Machine recoveries, tend to, in my eyes, slow the machine down quite a bit.

Samsung 830 for an early 2011 is flawless - guessing the new 840 would work the same!

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Wow everybody loves to make new threads every time they want to buy an SSD huh.
    There are bizillion threads of 2011 MBP SSD suggestions.

But if I were to buy another SSD, I would go with OCZ Vertex 4 or Samsung 840

10. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

I know you mentioned it, but do take some time to browse that long thread page by page, maybe even do a specific search in it; I know I did & it certainly helped me in my decision process.

This is also why MR is such a great place.

11. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

You might find that there is only SATA 2 in the optical bay while SATA 3 is available in the HDD bay. If that is the case, you'd be better off moving the existing HDD into the optical bay and putting the SSD where the HDD was. You'd get better use of the SSD's available speed that way.

12. davidlv macrumors 65816

It's a little more complex, but basically that's right. Even if the optical bay is SATA 3, SATA 3 SSDs do not work well there, according to OWC's HP:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/
    "Special compatibility notes related to use of this product with 6Gb/s SSDs in the following machines:
    2011 MacBook Pro 15" (Model ID MacBookPro8,2)
    2011 MacBook Pro 17" (Model ID MacBookPro8,3)
    • OPTICAL BAY: The optical bay interface in these machines may either be SATA Revision 2.0 3Gb/s OR SATA Revision 3.0 6Gb/s. There is no way to specify/order this data interface with Apple, but you can confirm what interface/link speed version your optical bay offers via the Apple System Profiler.

Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed. "
    Just for your info, my Intel 335 works great in my late 2011 MBP.

13. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Lol, DIY is always more complex than you think! :D