Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
For memorial day weekend my girlfriend and I are planning to take a little weekend getaway to New York from the 25th-28th, we've never been to New York before but we know we want try to experience the best of it in the 3 days that we are there.

Here is where you guys come in, where is the best area for us to stay at? We are thinking less than 300 per night.

What are the places we should go see?

Where should we eat?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Visit the Empire State building,Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, Museum of Modern art is a must. Madison Square garden for either. nicks game or other event. Central Park in a horse buggy.

The SOHO district as well as Greenwich Village and Washington Square Park.
Times Square is a must also.

I'll add more as I think of it.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Are you driving or taking a bus in? If driving, to save some $ park the car on the Upper East Side, free parking. Just mind the signs on when they clean the streets. Odds are you can leave it and not have to move it. Valet parking is ~50 per night with no in/out priveliges.

Going on a holiday weekend is going to be expensive. Also depends on where you want to be, down in the financial district vs midtown. Really isn't a bad place to stay, but for your first time I would recommend midtown, as its close to everything.

One thing I would do is check the size of the rooms. Some are only 150 square feet. I know you won't be in there that much, but may be a deciding factor. We liked the Waldorf, the Dream Hotel, but not sure if you can get them cheap as 300, especially on the weekend.

As far as what to do, just walk around. I'm not into the touristy things like going to the top of the empire state building or whatever, just seeing it from the bottom is good enough.

Free things to do: central park, 9/11 memorial, from there you can walk to battery park and see the statue of liberty. The plaza hotel is open to walk through, same with the trump towers and there is a bar to the left upon entering at the plaza where it is nice to have a drink, but $$. The bloody marys were $24 each. Also there is an italian market called Eataly that is fun to walk through, same with the Chelsea Market.

$: Museum of Modern art (25 adult, 14 student), empire state building (40$ per person), statue of liberty (tickets in advance), top of the rock (NBC building, 25$), skating at rockefeller center (think it is closed).

Dinner ideas: Colicchio and sons was great. Have always wanted to try Nobu for sushi but haven't gotten around to it. Sparks has good steak. Becco was amazing italian food.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Are you driving or taking a bus in? If driving, to save some $ park the car on the Upper East Side, free parking. Just mind the signs on when they clean the streets. Odds are you can leave it and not have to move it. Valet parking is ~50 per night with no in/out priveliges.

Going on a holiday weekend is going to be expensive. Also depends on where you want to be, down in the financial district vs midtown. Really isn't a bad place to stay, but for your first time I would recommend midtown, as its close to everything.

One thing I would do is check the size of the rooms. Some are only 150 square feet. I know you won't be in there that much, but may be a deciding factor. We liked the Waldorf, the Dream Hotel, but not sure if you can get them cheap as 300, especially on the weekend.

As far as what to do, just walk around. I'm not into the touristy things like going to the top of the empire state building or whatever, just seeing it from the bottom is good enough.

Free things to do: central park, 9/11 memorial, from there you can walk to battery park and see the statue of liberty. The plaza hotel is open to walk through, same with the trump towers and there is a bar to the left upon entering at the plaza where it is nice to have a drink, but $$. The bloody marys were $24 each. Also there is an italian market called Eataly that is fun to walk through, same with the Chelsea Market.

$: Museum of Modern art (25 adult, 14 student), empire state building (40$ per person), statue of liberty (tickets in advance), top of the rock (NBC building, 25$), skating at rockefeller center (think it is closed).

Dinner ideas: Colicchio and sons was great. Have always wanted to try Nobu for sushi but haven't gotten around to it. Sparks has good steak. Becco was amazing italian food.

transportation wise, we'll be flying to JFK and then taxi or public trans wherever we go.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
best city ever.

just went for the first time last month. had the best time.

def check out rockefeller center, and get there around 0700 for the Today show. cool to check out.

also, if over 21. grenich village is awesome for bars/pubs. our favourite was peculiar pub on bleeker st.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Visit the Empire State building,Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, Museum of Modern art is a must. Madison Square garden for either. nicks game or other event. Central Park in a horse buggy.

The SOHO district as well as Greenwich Village and Washington Square Park.
Times Square is a must also.

I'll add more as I think of it.

I'd bag the Empire State Building and go to the Top of the Rock instead. I'd also forget Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. Go to the South Street Seaport and take one of the boats around the harbor. You'll see more and get great pics of SoL.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
I'd bag the Empire State Building and go to the Top of the Rock instead. I'd also forget Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. Go to the South Street Seaport and take one of the boats around the harbor. You'll see more and get great pics of SoL.

i agree, and the SoL is under contruction. you can only walk around it. can't really get near or in it.

snowydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011

Also agree here - SOL can be seen close up on the boats anyway ... not too much of a different than being close up on the island

Also - a lot more space at Top of the Rock with the two levels of viewing too. Means it's less crowded than ESB ... also means you can look at both central park and ESB - the views are still pretty spectacular!

I Love New York - my favourite place that I've ever been too. Sep was my 3rd time there and I'm planning on going back again very soon (trying to get on a work programme)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
As rdowns said, skip the empire state building and go to the top of the Rock, and definitely don't bother with the statue of liberty.

My #1 suggestion: take the Staten Island ferry (it's free and takes an hour round trip) out and back from manhattan just before sunset, so that the sun is setting as you come back toward manhattan. Killer views...it's one of the best free things in the city. Don't bother spending time on staten island though.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
great suggestions so far guys, we are foodies so we want to experience the good stuff. Also atleast one top notch steak house.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
great suggestions so far guys, we are foodies so we want to experience the good stuff. Also atleast one top notch steak house.

One of the best pizza places in NY. Go for a nice sit down dinner.

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm

Chinese food- Wo Hops in Chinatown on Mott Street. It downstairs from street level, looks like a dive and has some of the best Chinese food anywhere. Dirt cheap too. Can walk for awesome Italian dessert after in Little Italy.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Food:

Serendipity 3
The Bagel Store / Brooklyn
Shake Shack
Lombardi's Pizza
Grimaldi's Pizzeria
The View Lounge in Times Square (rotates for a 360 degree view of NY)
Peter Luger (bring cash).. this place is awesome...

Locations:
Subway.. have to take it.
Coney Island
Grand Central Station
Central Park
Hells Kitchen (more food)
Brooklyn
Yankee Game
The Garden
World Trade Center
Battery Park
Statue of Liberty
Ellis Island (is ok, we actually skipped getting off the boat)
Empire State building (go early, as the line is shorter)
Times Square (lots of bars to go to here!)
Apple store (come on :) )

Have been several times and each time we see something new. This is all I can think of off the top of my head.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
IMHO, when the weather is good, this is the number one attraction in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City)

It's done quite elegantly and is an great way to burn a sunny afternoon.

edit: it gives one a chance to see how real people spend their afternoon rather than hanging around in a bunch of tourist sites.

----------

also, the SOL has a great new museum, and is much more interesting than seeing the tall buildings from TOtR or ESB.

You should be going Tokyo if you want to see buildings anyway.

Still, a romantic walk along the Highline is really nice.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
IMHO, when the weather is good, this is the number one attraction in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City)

It's done quite elegantly and is an great way to burn a sunny afternoon.

I agree! I went for the first time in Feb. The Highline is awesome! I need to go again when it is warmer with more flowers etc...

One of the best pizza places in NY. Go for a nice sit down dinner.

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm

Meh, I went once, wasn't impressed, IMHO the Pizza didn't really taste like anything, kinda bland. It seems to be popular though, so maybe it's just me....

At the risk of sounding "touristy" I would recommend Magnolia Bakery, but skip the cupcakes, and go for the Banana Pudding, sooooo good!

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010

This

----------

As for pizza, i recommend patsys pizzeria on the east side, its near the roosevelt island tram which gives amazing views of the city on the cheap

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Vouching for Rhett's list

Grimaldi's has the best pizza I've ever eaten. And when you're done, you and your girl can just walk a block down to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory for dessert. Get her the Peaches and Cream

My girl took me to Nobu for my birthday. Miso cod was good but about 3 bites of fish total. Everything else I tried was wack, overhyped, and expensive, I would've rather gone to Shake Shack. Speaking of Shake Shack, the Shack Stack is the best burger I've ever eaten.

There's also Ninja New York, which is a restaurant where all the waiters dress like ninjas. Lot of fun, but expensive as hell.

Ippudo Ramen is awesome too. They're known for their pork buns.

This thread is making me miss NY

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
thanks guys our list is getting longer, I have a few things up my sleeve to surprise her.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
also do you guys think it's worth it to spend only 3 days in new york?

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
also do you guys think it's worth it to spend only 3 days in new york?

yes...

unless you already live in a Global city (Paris/London/Rio/Tokyo/Shanghai/Sao Paulo/Mumbai) then you may not find it as interesting as someone who doesn't

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
any hotels guys? We want a hotel that is in a good area close to all the good attractions and we don't want to spend much under 250 a night.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
any hotels guys? We want a hotel that is in a good area close to all the good attractions and we don't want to spend much under 250 a night.

thats gonna be tough in NYC. I would go on priceline and bid for 3 star hotels and up. The upper west side below 96th street is great and might be a little more affordable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.