Planning a weekend getaway to San Francisco, suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Jul 28, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

With my last thread being so helpful (Planning a weekend getaway to New York City, suggestions I thought I'd start another. But this time its to San Francisco and we're only there for two days from Aug 4-5th leaving around 8pm Sunday.

We've been to San Fran before and did all the touristy stuff, this time we want to do stuff that isn't so touristy and special. So post your suggestions please.

2. dbyway macrumors member

dbyway

I'd suggest going Bimbo's 365 Club on 1025 Columbus Avenue :) It's a really fun atmosphere.

Here's their website: http://bimbos365club.com

3. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

A drive through Golden Gate Park would be nice. Start from the end of the park that stops at the ocean beach and if you get a chance, tour the DeYoung Museum which is midway through the park. Be careful, though, not to do this on a very busy holiday, as the traffic is heavily congested and no place to park. I would also take a walk through the Haight-Ashbury district, which was the center of cultural change (hippy central) in the 60s. I would also walk through the financial/shopping district in the heart of downtown just to see the goings on there. It's hard to find anywhere in SF that isn't interesting and entertaining.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'd suggest getting a sandwich at Ike's Place (the website doesn't work very well). It is an absolutely incredible sandwich shop. Go before or after the normal lunchtime because it takes a long time to get a sandwich made or call in your order. Here is their menu it is a pdf.

They don't use cold cuts. Everything is cooked fresh on the grill.

Get some ice cream at The San Francisco Creamery.

5. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

this one will be on our list, keep em coming guys

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

7. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

just a heads-up we would like to steer clear from going to any bars or lounges. We want to venture out on the streets of SF

8. Foxdog175 macrumors regular

I just went there for a week on vacation last month. If you're looking to venture out on the streets, it's hard to beat Fishermans Wharf. It's pretty commercialized with lots of street performers. There's also an excellent eatery there called The Franciscan. If you like seafood, they have really good dungeness crab. Their shrimp is also very good; it has a really unique batter.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

It would help if you defined "touristy" on your first visit. There is a wealth of things to do in the SF area, not sure what you may or may not have done in your first visit.

10. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

what we did last time was go to fisherman's warf, coit tower, china town, golden gate park, union square, golden gate bridge.

We'll probably go to the Golden Gate park again this time around as I want us to have a picnic there.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I really like the North Beach area. It is kind of a SF version of Little Italy. Lots of great little Italian cafe's and fun to walk around. Check out the City Lights bookstore in that area also.

12. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I like to go there and just walk around.. The city is small enough that you can walk every where. See soo much more than you normally would.

Also take a ferry (or drive) to Sausalito. It is pretty nice. There is also sometimes a guy who balances rocks. It is really cool to see.

13. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Not sure where the OP is from, so this may be old hat/uninteresting...

If you've never been, I'd suggest driving across the Golden Gate bridge and going to Marin county - Mt. Tamalpais gives awesome views of the entire bay area, and Muir woods is simply breathtaking and inspiring. You can go from the city to the woods in way less than an hour. Plus there are some seriously nice views of the city from the north side of the bridge.

You probably don't have the time budget needed to go down to Monterey for the aquarium/Pebble Beach/Carmel.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Seconded, I've filmed some amazing music at that spot. Also check out Fillmore Street between Eddy and Geary... there's lots of live music like Yoshi's, Rasellas Jazz Club, Sheba Piano Lounge, 1300 on Fillmore, not to mention the Fillmore!

Check out Golden Gate Park, also if you want a good view visit Tankhill Park right by Twin Peaks. Golden Gate Bridge is a must but seeing you've already been there you don't have to go twice. Also visit Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 and AT&T park if you want.

15. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I'd suggest getting your brake pads seen to before you go.

KGB

16. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

We're taking the gf's car lol

so this is what we have so far:

- fisherman's wharf
    - picnic at the GG Park
    - Sutro Bath place

are there any food trucks to die for out there? We are both foodies

17. Svend macrumors member

18. beatzfreak, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Minus the picnic, these are my favorite things to do when visiting and I lived there for decades. They can all be done in one shot in a few hours.

I usually start off with a drive through GG Park stopping to see the Bison.

At the end of the park where it meets the ocean head north to the Sutro Baths. At the north corner of the baths there is a short cave you can walk through to see some neat rock formations.

Then head to Baker Beach and check out a nice view of the GG Bridge.

After that it gets a little tricky as far as the route. Look at a map. I like to take Mason street and go by Crissy Field to Bay street which will take you to Fisherman's Wharf. As mentioned the crab is great and you can also get chowder served in a bowl made of sourdough bread.

As far as non touristy stuff, Valencia Street in the Mission is pretty neat.
    My favorite taqueria, Pancho Villa, is on 16th street. From there you can walk one block and head south on Valencia for some interesting shops.

As mentioned, the view from Twin Peaks is amazing.

19. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is what I'm looking for, thank you great ideas. Keep'em coming.

20. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

21. sara3k3 macrumors newbie