Planning for the inevitable..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supercooled, Mar 15, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I'm a first time Mac desktop buyer and I guess the reason it took so long was my fear of replacement. As a long time PC user, I still have my first desktop built back in 1997/98 which is alive and well. If the battery died, I would have no problem replacing it but what about the Mac Pro? I know it's only time when something goes wrong; whether that's 2 or 5 years down the road, I intend on keeping this for the long haul. That said, even if I did purchase Applecare, I don't see how that will be useful 5 years from now. And to be quite honest, I don't like any extended warranty regardless of the initial investment. So I guess what I'm getting at is; is the Mac Pro PC friendly if you need a new PSU for instance?

2. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Yes. Apple's website has manuals and pdfs on how to replace certain parts of the Mac Pro, to include the battery.

3. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

I bought a new PowerMac G5 2x2.0 in 2003. Last December it went belly-up and Apple wanted $1080 to replace the logic board. Does it make sense to spend that kind of money replacing 4 year old technology? I decided not to, and bought the new MP instead. Tough decision, though, but I think I made the right one. Spin the wheel, take your chances.

4. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why should we need to take a chance? You know very well that if your PC, regardless of its age, you can find parts for it. A motherboard for $1000? That's insanity. I don't think 4 years old makes the computer obsolete; like I said, my PC that I build in the last milenia is still ticking away despite having to replace the PSU.

I don't know if MacfanboyII was being sarcastic or not but assume that the logic board and PSU are replaceable, I would assume the parts would come at a hefty sum. I'm hoping someone has successfully transplanted a generic PSU into the Mac Pro.

5. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Sorry. Let me try again...

[SARCASM]Apple makes it very easy and cheap to replace or upgrade parts on your Mac Pro. Why there's a whole thread on how easy it is to upgrade a 1st Gen Mac Pro graphics card to the 8800! I mean, why should Apple make you buy a whole new Mac Pro for 3k+ when you can spend half of that on a new logic board?[/SARCASM]

There, that better? :D

6. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

I know nothing about electronics, so no way I could fix it myself. I found a logic board for $475, and I guess I could have paid someone to install it. But, there was no guarantee that one or both of the processors weren't fried too. Then what? Mo money. Mo money. Mo money. I figured that Apple was the only way to go if I chose the repair route because they would fix the problem for the amount of the repair estimate and warranty it for 90 days. With some private repair shop I wouldn't be sure of anything. But, in the end, for that amount of money, repairing a 4 year old box didn't make sense.

When it happened I wasn't happy. I whined and complained, but I got over it and moved on. I think I made a good decision in laying down the cash for the MP because for me it wasn't just a speed-bump, but a big leap in technology (PPC -> Intel), and even more so because of the jump to Harpertown.

7. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Apple uses higher quality components than normal PC manufacturers. The PSU is not going to fail in your computer.

8. GotPro macrumors 6502

It is just a nature of the beast... You can't get around it... On the VERY rare instance that hardware dies, it is much more expensive typically...

However... Its a chance I'm more than willing to take for one reason only:

If you spend $2700 on a PC today, four years from now you wouldn't get $50 for it. In the Mac world... You'd probably get $1000 for that same 4 year old Mac.

Its a wonderful phenomenon and a testiment to the quality and demand for Macs...

I've been an IT guy for 12 years... Owned Macs & PCs side by side for years... I've NEVER had anything die outside of warranty except a Dvd drive...

And I ALWAYS get primo $$$ for the old stuff...

Case in example... Sold my first generation Macbook Pro $2200 new that is about 3 years old for $1250 when I bought my new Mac Pro...

Show me ANY three year old pc laptop that would fetch that kind of $$$$

:)

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

The reality of the above statement is that components fail. Just because the parts are of a higher quality does not mean that components will not fail. If we went with your theory then no Apple computer would ever break. Better quality parts just decreases the probability failure.

10. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then why is it that we keep hearing about Logic board failures in Macs? Be it notebooks or desktops. I just have trouble internalizing the fact that a Mac would cost so much more to repair than a PC if/when trouble arises. So we just have to accept that it's part of the "charm" of Apple products.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

Did you miss this...

Because there are not thousands of third party part manufactures for Apple computers like there are PCs. Combine that with the motherboard/heatsink/psu being proprietary and Apple being the exclusive supplier and there is your answer.

12. GotPro macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why this really even plays into any of your thought process... When it comes to purchasing a car...

Do you ask the BMW or Porsche dealer about what it will cost to replace an engine when it is out of warranty?

If it is then more expensive than a Chevrolet do you get frustrated and decide NOT to buy the car you want, simply for this fear?

I know that I sure don't... I buy what makes me happiest...

Just curious :)

13. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm probably too modest to drive a Porsche or BMW. Boy, if you're fortunate enough to drive one and pay for the insurance/gas, more power to you.

Good analogy though. I guess one shouldn't be too upset to find out their Porsche Caymen would not be compatible with a Cheverlet Colbolt engine.

I'm happy again.

14. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but that's just delusional.
    4 years from now, any new computer will run rings around even the most decked out Mac Pro available today, even a lowly MacMini or an iMac, and their prices will be about the same as that resale figure that you think you will get for a 4 year old piece of hardware.

15. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

That day has passed us years ago, my friend. Apple components are generally the same components you'll find in PC's, and they all have a label saying "Made in China". :(

--Erwin

16. m1stake macrumors 68000

Don't worry about it too much. I've got a G4 still running, never had to take it in for anything. I bought it new in 2001.

I've got several SE30's that I still use at my parents' house, and I can't even remember when I bought them.

Macs are very solid, well built machines.

17. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

or at least they were, and indeed, i hope they still are. However, it seems (from following these threads for numerous years) that more problems have been arising as the :apple: market share increases, which makes sense, although is not such a nice thing to think when ive just spent $6000 on a mac pro:eek:

18. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your name conjures up thoughts of the movie "Money Pit" starring Tom Hanks.

So what did you add to the Mac Pro to bring the grand total to 6k? Mine was pretty close :(

19. f1 macrumors 6502

complaints on forums are far from an accurate measure on the reliability of apple's product. People come on forums to complain, its in human nature to spread bad experiences and do the opposite with good experience. Of course complaints on this forum has surged, because Apple is the fastest growing computer company at this point so more users, equal a larger number of people in the market, yet Apple is always ranked in the top in service and support. Same goes for other companies, people complain all the time about shoddy products from Dell, but I know business that live and breathe Dell and have not have reliability problems with them. Do not base your buying decisions on forums.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Good lord $6K for a 2.8GHZ mac pro??

I've got a 2.8GHZ mac pro with 16GB of RAM 1.5tb hdd a 150gb raptor drive and 3 year apple care warranty for $4300.

Either way I'm selling the mac pro rig because I came to my senses and dont need that much power for what I do. And my current SR 2.4ghz mbp connected to the 23" ACD does just fine. And just ordered a 1tb drive from OWC via firewire to the mbp will do just fine (more space than what I really need).

I guess unless your a absolute professional that the mac pro's speed can offer for you to get paid, the mac pro is a must. But for me its a hobby/love kind more than anything and rather have that $4300 in the bank. Plus this SR mbp will last me a good 4 years before upgrading or at least nehalem! :D

21. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You'd be surprised what HP wants for a systemboard on one of their 8-way Xeon workstations via their Parts Department... :eek:

Anyway, I agree that expecting only three years of active life out of such an investment is counter-productive. But unlike a "home-built" system with a standardized case where you can use any third-party motherboard or PSU that fits, the Mac Pro, just like an HP, IBM/Lenovo, Dell, Gateway, or other "non generic" system will have some "customized" parts that are specific to the unit.

If properly cared for, components that lasted three years usually won't die at three years and one day. So chances are that even once your AppleCare expires, your Mac Pro will still keep on chugging, especially if behind a solid UPS like a Falcon systems.

22. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

well the cost comes down to the fact that i live in the uk (as a university student I even got 14% off the normal uk price!), which meant that i firstly had to pay shed loads for the machine, and secondly did not have the time for all the potential hassle that ordering 3rd party ram from the states would have meant.

My order was as follows:

8x2.8 Ghz
    8 Gigs of ram
    320 gig HD
    8800 gt
    Wireless KB
    Wireless MM
    Applecare
    23" ACD

buying stuff in the uk truly sucks

23. krye macrumors 68000

krye

If this guy is still happy with a PC from 1998 (probably a PII 350 MHz) then I can't image what he possibly needs a Mac Pro for. That seems like a lot of money to spend to surf the internet. So, if the hardest thing your machine has to do all day is turn on, then I think the machine will last you a long long time. Plus, if you're going to spend that kind of money, then you have to be prepared to make the repairs if necessary. It's like buying a car: expensive car, expensive maintenance. Cheap car, cheap maintenance.

24. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say I'm happy with its performance but the fact that it still works is a strong testament. That said, your last comment is apropos.