planning long road trip with just iphone 3g. what do i need?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Nov 23, 2008.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

Of course im bringing a few changes of clothes and some essentials but what apps and iphone accessories do you guys find necessary for a long trip from jersey to georgia. let me know .....

2. Aurial macrumors 6502

You'd better pack a satnav and a decent camera.

3. cenetti macrumors 6502

Get a backup phone! Pre-paid or something like that!

Mine crashed ( connect to itunes screen) during my trip to Mexico. Couldn't use it at all.
    Don't EVER depend on Iphone as your only device! I learned it the hard way.

4. goobimama macrumors regular

Buy a battery pack (the richard solo one is good I hear). Will give you at least twice as much juice on the go).

5. S Brake macrumors regular

Ditto on the extra juice. I used my iPhone for everything when I went to California a few weeks ago and everything worked flawlessly except for the battery life due to my excessive usage.

6. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks just actually purchased a backup battery. It wasn't the richard solo. I left the box in my car but it works well. anything else . my radio tuner kinda sucks. It catches a lot of interference when it is connected to my iphone.

any recommended apps. so far i have urbanspoon, weatherchannel, and pandora. any good apps to tell you nearest gas station and gas prices in that state. ?

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You will need nothing else. The iPhone will provide you with warmth, nourishment, and shelter. Be sure to have the lightsaber app to provide you with safe passage. Godspeed!

8. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

car charger?? Bluetooth headset so your not talking and driving at the same time, well you'll be talking but wirelessly you know. uh pandora? dont have to worry about changing stations from city to city, its got all your music you could need.

9. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Look into the GasHound app, it will help you to find the lowest gas prices and directions to the station.

10. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol it's a business trip. lol...

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Car charger, wall charger and power outlets within reach the entire time if you've upgraded to 2.2. :(

12. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Then you better buy a few ! :D

I always bring car, home , usb, and portable chargers. I normally have my macbook pro with me also and normally have all the charges/cords.

13. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol. The new 2.2 upgrade has worked well for me. The battery seems to last longer and the iphone runs smoother. The only thing that was weird was my visual voicemail had a lock on it out the blue. I had to unlock and i never set it to be locked...

14. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow. you are definately a mac head i just noticed your sig... how is that mac pro treating you.

15. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Last week, we drove from PA to Denver and back. All I took were;

• Car charger
    • Wall charger

I had a BT headset but never used it.

I also added the major cities along the way to the Weather app.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Or if, you know, he's using ANY iPhone.

As for apps, I'd just suggest using Google maps a lot. Drop pins and save them as bookmarks when you go places. Use the new "walking" feature a lot. With those 2 things you can keep very good track of where you've been in case you decide to backtrack and return someplace later in the day.

Urbanspoon, like you said, is pretty helpfull. I sometimes find that "YPmobile" gives me more useful results than google does. It's worth checking it in addition to google, at least.

Also, remember: If you find yourself in an area without 3G, just turn it off or the chip will waste power looking for a 3G signal all day.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely drop pins for the best gas prices. A nice car charger for plugging in your BT, iPhone wallchargers and a laptop/MacBook. Also, drop pins for the local Apple Stores...

18. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

how long a trip is that?

19. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Almost 3,500 miles.

20. pj rage macrumors 6502

I always bring my laptop with itunes on it, because as the other poster mentioned, I've had it go to the "connect to itunes" screen while out and about. Granted I'm jailbroken and that could have something to do with it, but better safe than sorry.

21. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

[​IMG]