Planning my first iMac purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tizzer, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Tizzer macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first post here. I'm planning to buy an iMac soon, and I've been checking out eBay for possible deals. I found a guy who has a late 2013 27" iMac with a 3.4GHz i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and GeForce GTX775M 2GB graphics card (the exact model I want). Now, apple has this exact computer refurbished on their site for around $1650. The eBay listing is for $1795, but has the "Make Offer" option to haggle. My question is, what's a good price to offer this guy without being insulting? I'd want to pay at least a little less than Apple's price, but I don't want to make him angry and ignore me. Any tips?

2. pingfan59 macrumors member

I would honestly go with the apple refurbished.

You have apple that knows how to pack it and 1 year warranty

or you have a guy that you do not know on eBay packing it and shipping it (no warranty?)

The few dollars you will save are not worth the massive headache that could ensue.

3. Tizzer thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy says it's still under warranty until July. Meaning I would have until then to purchase apple care if I wanted.

4. pingfan59 macrumors member

I see warranty expires in 3 weeks (4/7/15)

No original box and coming from Canada.

But if you want to do the make an offer, the only way is to ask for what you are wanting to pay because the make an offer option is a one use item because if he accepts your first offer, then it is done.

So you can start low and go higher. I do not think anyone selling will ignore a potential buyer unless they make an offer of $1000 for a $1700 computer.

So try with $1600 and see where that goes.

5. Tizzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I read the warranty date wrong haha. The refurbished one from apple is $1659. Why are people paying nearly the same amount for random used ones on ebay and craigslist? Would it be insulting to offer him say 1400-1500?

6. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Please do yourself a favor and go with the Apple reconditioned unit. It will arrive safely and with a warranty and support.

If you search these forums, you will find plenty of Ebay horror stories.

If he wanted $500 for it and you felt adventurous that would be a different story. But I would never go to Ebay just to save a couple hundred $$.

7. Tizzer thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll probably get one from apple, I was just hoping for a deal. Thanks for replying.

8. minimalism macrumors member

Go for Apple refurbished. Pay a few extra to avoid risks. You might be able to save a few bucks but if it end up being a bad luck machine, you've blown away thousands of dollars plus headache.

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I concur with this advice. I recently bought a refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple, and it arrived as if it was spanking new, with a full year's warranty...

10. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

I can't believe people consider buying tech like this off Ebay.

11. pingfan59 macrumors member

If i were going to make an offer, i would review the latest completed listings that sold successfully and base my offer price on that.

Nothing wrong with buying computers on ebay if you carefully read descriptions and check seller feedback.

If you cant really tell condition from pictures, ask for more pictures and info.

And ebay has gone very pro buyer with all the guarantees so if you did get a bad machine, paypal and ebay would more than likely help you out.

Out of over a couple hundred transactions, i received one fake putter, went through dispute process and got my money back.

But because apple has the same model refurbished for about the same price, it would be a no brainer to go with the refurbished and 1 year warranty.