Planning on an iMac, so mouse or trackpad?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by deepakvrao, Dec 6, 2011.

1. deepakvrao macrumors regular

I got an Air a couple of weeks ago, and am so taken up by it that I ordered one for my wife, and am planning a iMac for my daughter.

I think you get a choice of trackpad/mouse? Was wondering, as I had read pretty bad reviews on the magic mouse, whether to get the trackpad and add a regular Logitech mouse?

I am using a combination of a Logitech USB mouse on my Air with the trackpad, and find it a pretty nice combination.

Suggestions? We are all new to Apple.

2. WigWag Workshop macrumors 6502

WigWag Workshop

I use both, the magic track pad, and the magic mouse and love the experience. I work in Final Cut, and Pixelmator a lot. But also do some web browsing.

3. kgapp macrumors member

Get the trackpad. The gestures that are built-in to Lion are very useful if you take a few moments to learn them. Also, like you mentioned the magic mouse is not a particularly good mouse so you are better off picking up a Logitech for those situations where a mouse is preferred over the trackpad.

4. dakhein macrumors member

Go to the Apple Store or w/e to demo it for yourself as well as your family. Peripherals are an individual's personal preference. Personally, I don't like the Magic Mouse but I haven't tried the Trackpad. I use third party mice.

5. Akack macrumors 6502a

Tried to use the magic mouse but just didn't comfy. Got the trackpad recently and love it because of the gestures in Lion.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Got The Mouse

With my iMac, because I do precision work which only a mouse can achieve.

I use my MBA with the pad, and its fine for most things. My MBP uses both.

I'd say if you don't need precision then go with the trackpad, but if you do...uou are going to need a mouse.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I use a magic trackpad. I've owned one since they came out. Under Snow Leopard it was okay, but the gestures in Lion make it amazing. I can't stand the Magic Mouse. With that said, I do have a logictech mouse for gaming or when I need a very granular pointing device (trackpads tend to be difficult to use when you need very accurate and/or fast tracking).

8. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Get the Magic Trackpad since Lion his new gestures and the magic mouse don't have all the lion gestures.

9. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Was planning to surprise my daughter, but decided to take her and decide what she wants.

Having said that, I think we will go with the trackpad and the Logitech mouse.

Do you guys think I should wait for a couple of months? MacBuyers guide says that iMacs are at the end of their product cycle?

She is only 13 and we are getting her the basic lowest end iMac. Any chance of changes in the low end model too?

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I have both and prefer the Trackpad by a long shot. It is easier on batteries too. If you end up with the mouse, get Better Touch Tool, because the Magic Mouse sucks on its own.

11. CHULLEN1 macrumors newbie

I originally went with the magic mouse and it work great. Liked that I could scroll without moving the mouse. I now have a trackpad and think it is a better way to get around than the mouse and the multi touch gestures all work so well once you have learned them. I would get a magic trackpad with a mobee magic charger and battery as the batteries in the track pad die to early.

12. leman macrumors 604

Trackpad. That mouse is an ergonomics nightmare.

13. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Both. There's nothing wrong with the magic mouse, it works fine. You'll want the trackpad, also, to take advantage of all the gestures built into the operating system, of which only a few are available on the mouse. I have both, and the one I use at any given time depends on what I'm running. I seem to have a 60/40 preference for the mouse, but reach over and 4-finger-spread/squeeze on the trackpad to clear off the desktop or call up launch pad, plus 3-finger swipe to go back to the previous folder in finder. And I've just started playing with multiple desktops today, so 4-finger swipe for that. Yeah, I use both.

14. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I have never liked Apple's mice. We have been using a M$ mice and keyboards on our iMacs since we got them. The Keyboards are too small and I didn't like the mighty mouse.

I will try the Magic Mouse with our new iMacs and give them another shot. Though, thinking I will go back to a third party Mouse setup.

However, I played with the Magic TrackPad at Best Buy over the weekend and it was pretty neat. I have to go play with it some more. I may get one.

So you can use a mouse and the trackpad at the same time?

15. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

I use the trackpad for general work and computing, I have a logitech mouse for games and art programs. If you pick up all the new gestures they can really help you move around.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I moved to a trackpad recently because I have got basal joint arthritis in my left thumb (I'm left handed) which was making using a mouse very, very uncomfortable.
    Strangely enough, I had always used trackpads on laptops with my right hand so I figured I could do the same with a magic trackpad and give my left thumb a well-earned rest.
    It took me a couple of days to get used to using it instead of a mouse, but now I have, I definitely prefer it to using a mouse (particularly with all the gestures in Lion)

17. crimton macrumors member

I will be getting an imac as well and am wanting the trackpad. I am considering getting a refurbished from apple. Does anybody know if if you get an option for mouse or trackpad in the refurbished store?

18. jertronic macrumors member

I learned the SL and then Lion swipe functions while playing around on my girlfriend's MBP. With my new iMac, purchased last month, I chose the track pad over the magic mouse. I have a somewhat old dynex mouse that came in handy dragging and dropping files when migrating my data upon set up. But, I find that as time passes I become more and more deft at using the track pad. I use it 95% of the time. I do, however, keep my wireless mouse plugged into the back of the iMac.

19. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I just ordered two refurbs last night and there were no options to upgrade anything on the systems.
    At least I didn't see any place to do it.
    Though well worth it, with the $720 saved between the two systems. :)

20. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes, OS X even has separate setup areas in the System Preferences for Mice and Trackpads. I should be clear, I have never used both at the EXACT same time (that would be difficult to try to do both at the exact same moment), but I always have them both "connected" to my mac mini (one via bluetooth and the other a USB wireless "dongle").

21. BasilFawlty, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I bought both with my new iMac. Love the Track Pad - absolutely HATE the magic mouse! I know some people swear by them, but I just can't keep from accidentally brushing the surface and causing all manner of unintended actions, like pages scrolling when I don't want them to, or drop down selections changing on forms when I don't intend it, etc! Drives me up a wall!! I know it's a personal preference thing, but I'd recommend going to the Apple store and playing around with "Magic" (ha) mouse for a while before you drop $60+ for it. I'm looking around for a good "normal" replacement mouse now.

22. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

i got my i7 iMac yesterday. i use the magic mouse for browsing, the trackpad for graphics and photo stuff, and i have a wired usb mouse for playing warcraft. all are great at a particular job.

23. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

24. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

I use the trackpad. Have logitech mouse for gaming but otherwise trackpad works great.

Bettertouchtools makes it even better. http://blog.boastr.net/

25. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Logitech Performance MX is a great mouse. I used the magic mouse for almost two years and finally said enough is enough. Trying to edit videos with the magic mouse is pain and my fingers start to hurt over long periods of time.

I plan to eventually get the track pad when I upgrade to Lion, but right now, there are way too many compatibility issues with the Adobe.