planning on buying 15inch MBP but questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emir, Jan 24, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

i am planing on buying a 15" MBP on July '10 (if there is going to be an update, i will get the updated one i think:)) i have questions about it;

1-) i am going to be studying marketing on university and would i need a computer for it and would a mac cover it?
    2-) Which processor speed should i go with(price/performance)(i mean 2.53,2.6 etc...)
    3-) i am going to get 500GB storage but 5400rpm or 7200rpm? what are the differences and which one is the best?
    4-) i am living in Turkey and we are using 220 volt electric, problem charging the MBP here?(a friend in us will bring one because prices are HIGH in Turkey, of course Apple prices, for ex. low-end 15" 1699$ MBP is 2735$ here.(4100 Turkish Liras)
    5-) keyboard, Apple computers here have Turkish keyboard but would Apple modify m mbp to a turkish keyboard? i really don't want to give 2735$. but Turkish keyboard isn't a must, it is not worth a thousand bucks.
    6-) i've never used a Mac before so what are the problems i may face. i mean technical, like hardware and stuff. i heard Apple replaces it if it has a problem in 15 days but sending MBP back to my friend in US, the other side of the globe and him sending to Apple would take approximately 15 days i guess.

thanks for the answers and tips. sincerely;

Emir

2. macmike47 macrumors regular

1 - nowadays you'll probably want a computer for just about any degree... :)
    2 - sounds like you won't be doing much really heavy lifting, so go for the 2.53, unless money's not an issue
    3 - From what I've heard, there's not a huge difference between 5400 & 7200RPM unless you're accessing large files quickly (eg video editing)
    :)

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes.

Given that there will likely be two updates, it's impossible to say.

$50 for the 7200 is a good upgrade. Many swear by SSDs, but at that size it's a little ridiculous. The 7200 used to be known to have clicking problems, but that seems to be gone.

I don't think Apple would modify it for you.

You shouldn't have any, if your computer is DOA that could be problematic.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

AppleCare is global. You should be able to get your MacBook Pro repaired from anywhere in the world, no matter where in the world you bought it from.

5. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

I read on this forum that 7200 is loud and has problems and not worth it buy you say i should go for it. Can you or somebody else who knows about hard drives tell me more about the difference?

And what's a DOA computer?

Thank you again

emir