Planning on buying an iPhone 3GS next January

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dayron14, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Dayron14 macrumors member

hello! well i am planning on buying a new iphone 3GS next january and well i am going to have a new contract. so i was wondering...if i buy the iPhone 3gs next month, let's say when a new one comes out in june will i have to pay the full price for the new iphone or will i get be upgrade ellegible? how has it worked with previous iphones? please help me because if not i will wait until the next iPhone comes out. thanks!

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Usually 2 years... so if you were to buy it in Jan 2010, you wouldn't be upgrade eligible until Jan 2012...

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Depending on how expensive your plan is, usually you are eligible for upgrade 12 months, 18 months or 24 months from the date of purchase.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you want to save some cash, check out refurbs. You should be able to save $50 on one if there are any available.

Also, be warned that there will likely be a 64GB iPhone in June/July. If you can hold out, I would to get double the storage for the same price.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You should be upgrade eligible in 18 months and eligible for an early upgrade price (not full retail, but not the fully-subsidized price) after 1 year. With some of the more expensive plans you might be able to upgrade at the fully subsidized price as early as 12 months. But if you must get the new one as soon as it comes out you will probably have to pay full price.

Be aware, though, that you can usually sell a contract-free used iPhone for a significant fraction of its retail price. You might be able to buy to sell a pristine used 3GS for $400 to $500, significantly reducing the cost of your upgrade.

And I wouldn't listen to the poster who says to wait half a product cycle to get the new model in June. There will always be a newer model on the horizon; it's like chasing the end of the rainbow. Buy your iPhone now and enjoy it an extra six months. You can always sell it and finance an upgrade that way.