planning on buying iPhone 3G - how can I sell my current iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ero87, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hi friends,

So the title says it all - how do I go about doing this? Can I just post it on eBay? How does this work regarding activation, etc.? Do I just completely restore my phone and ship it out to someone?

Thanks so much :)

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

When I sold my iPhone, I backed it up to iTunes and then restored the phone itself. People say that some of your info is still on the phone when you restore it, so I guess somebody will provide those necessary steps for you. And unlocking it for the buyer also brings in more money. Make sure you take out your SIM card too.

You should be good to go after that.

3. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

okay, silly question, but how do I unlock it? And do I do that after I restore it?

4. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

My question surrounds the SIM part. I understand that if you sell the iphone you need to remove this with a paperclip - but when you buy a new 3G do you use the original SIM card for that? How does that piece work?

I'm looking to sell a jailbroken iphone and buy a new 3G one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

To be honest, I don't know how to unlock it. But I'm sure you can find out how to do on it on google in a few seconds. I would imagine you restore your phone and then unlock it. Because if you unlock it then restore it, the unlock might be gone.

When you buy the iPhone 3G and activate it, the old SIM will deactivate if you are using the same number. The SIM holds account information and your number on it, so once a new 1 is activated, the old one is obselete. There are tutorials about selling your iPhone on this website and Gizmodo.

6. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

No you won't use the same SIM, standard SIM's like the ones in the original iPhone, don't work in 3G phones, 3G phones have whats called USIM, which is just a different kind of SIM that enables the 3G capabilites

7. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

thanks for the help. so I would just remove my SIM card from the V1 iphone and not use it for anything correct?

8. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

or you could just sell it to me and not worry about unlocking it ;) check your pm's

9. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

were you referring to me? I don't see a pm.

10. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

I'm wondering the steps needed to take and wanted some confirmation on someone who knows more than I do:

1) restore iphone
    2) jailbreak 1.1.4
    3) get new 3G - what happens if I have a jailbroken iphone in the store (yikes!)
    4) sell other iphone on ebay

I'm just curious if this is the correct steps to take, and also curious about the jailbroken iphone in the store.

Thanks

11. Dakotafan macrumors 6502