Planning on importing bunch of Personal movies

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macabouttobe, Mar 22, 2011.

1. macabouttobe, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

From 8mm tape. I'm planning on getting a NAS with built in redundancy.. I learn so much from others experiences- Any tips, tricks, tweaks or whatever I need to know about? Anything i should be considering? My iMac has the latest iLife version. If it matters considering netgear readynas nv+.

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

and then what...

also, how many hours of movies?

3. macabouttobe thread starter macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Great Question! Mostly for posterity sake at first - phase 2 will most likely be filming (transfering?) a bunch of Super 8 movies and doing the same - need to research more on that still...

I'd say 30hrs of 8mm, god knows how many Super 8...

Somewhere before getting on with phase 2, I plan on editing and throwing together some things like our annual visits up north vacationing throughout the last 10 years or so..

The "what's next" question is perfect for if I should choose certain formats etc for whatever I do next!

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

30 hours of 8mm movies. Lemme see...

30 hours times 8 mm divided by the Pacific Decadal Oscillation index, times the interocitor value ... I reckon you'll need about 329.59 GB in DV format.

If you need organising, take a look at something like iDive. Try the demo.

Any reason you want a NAS rather than directly attached storage?

5. macabouttobe, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

macabouttobe thread starter macrumors regular

macabouttobe

iDive looks like a good way to catalog. I'll check it out. Do you suggest importing in DV format or any other one?

Considering NAS for the scaleability. Kinda sold on the on the Raid X Netgear hot-swapable capability and redundancy (ReadyNas NV+). 3-4 drives inside, one fails I just swap it out. I understand 1000g ethernet doesn't pose much more lag than USB if any. I have a 1T drive hanging off the back. 2/3 is time machine, and the other partitian is almost filled up with just some random dvd burns. I'm anticipating more transfers of personal movies especially when I figure out how to do the super-8's. probably 100 films.. My wife and I have tons of CD's to boot I'd like to put into my electronic library. I thought the Time Capsule was an eligant solution but I'm looking for scaleability and redundancy for now. Behind my iMac is cluttered enough with about 3 other smaller externals I used to transfer files from my old PC.

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

You're coming from 8mm tape. DV can't make it any worse and anything else (IMO) would be overkill in terms of space for no increase in quality, either during acquisition, editing or output.