Planning to acquire a Drobo NAS... one question...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amelsen, Jun 25, 2009.

1. amelsen macrumors member

After having done some research on the Drobo.. I've noticed that some is just listed as a Drobo.. and others are listed as Drobo V2 ???

What the difference between the first Drobo and the second version?

Thanks.

- Allan

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

1st gen 4 bay Drobo had only USB. 2nd gen 4 bay Drobo has Firewire 800 on top of USB. Either will work if you are using a DroboShare, which uses USB only.
    There is also a new 8 bay Drobo that isn't a NAS, but uses ethernet to connect to a computer (iSCSI).

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The drobos are cool toys but it would be nice for them to have a Gibabit ethernet port so you can plug into your router and stream content without needing to have a computer on.

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

As mentioned above, a small point of clarification, the Drobo isn't by itself a NAS (Network Attached Storage) but rather an external RAID hard drive case or DAS (Direct Attached Storage).

You can turn a standard Drobo into a NAS with the optional DroboShare. The new DroboPro does have a built-in ethernet port for iSCSI but doesn't function as a NAS and is supposed to be segregated from the network.

5. Coroe macrumors member

I just don't get it why the won't offer a Drobo with NAS functionality. I'd buy it the second it would come out.

Jeez. :(

6. amelsen thread starter macrumors member

Well... it does... you just need the DroboShare unit, right?