Planning to buy a MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GusR9, Apr 20, 2007.

1. GusR9 macrumors member

GusR9

hello to everyone
    I am planning to buy a new Apple MacBook this summer for college but after Apple announced the delay of Leopard until October I dont know what should I do. I have the hope that the new line of Intel processors Santa Rosa(Centrino Pro) will be avaible for the MacBook soon enough at least for mid July it sounds very logical because it has been 164 days since the last update of the MacBook line (the average is 204) for July have passed away more than 200 days since the last update (and more than 250 for the MacBook Pro) and that for me it's too much...I also support my theory that summer is the second most important season of the year for Macs (after Christmas) and that is because school season starts and Apple tends to update his computers more soon than later, if Apple release the new line of MacBooks by October with the release of Leopard almost a year could passed away for the MacBook which is the best selling Mac and for that time many PC makers like Dell, HP could have Centrino Pro on their computers and preparing for Penryn (IMPORTANT!! I dont want a PC I just try to focus on the PC market) and that it's not good for Apple.
    So...what should I do?
    I would buy my MacBook (hopefully soon) with the new Intel Centrino Pro and then buy Leopard on October and that it would perfect for me (after all Tiger its OK).
    What do you think about that?
    There's at least a little chance of having a new MacBook line for this summer? (so I can buy one)

2. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

I wouldnt bother waiting til leopard, Tiger works great and a month without a computer for me would bring me completely behind in school. For you who is just starting out at university, A month of disorganization will mean you fail the course.

If there is an update this summer unless its really good or you really really need the slightly improoved version jump on clearance priced older macbooks to save a great deal of cash.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Yes, buy after June.. no sense in waiting til mid semester to buy a new comp.. leopard will be available for under $200 anyway, but tiger has features comparable to vista.

4. GusR9 thread starter macrumors member

GusR9

thanks

All i hope is that Santa Rosa is worth the wait, certainly I believe that yes but with penryn at the door who knows...
    So it's almost a fact that the next upgrade for the MacBooks is going to be this summer and I really hope this I'm going to enter college 6th August and I need a Mac that can be useful for two or three years at least so I hope that waiting for this upgrade is going to help me with this thing about a new computer after all I want one that runs smoothly Leopard and It can used in a normal way (word, itunes, internet) that's all I want. If not I'll buy the current MacBook that is not so bad for the future Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, Tiger...it's good but I hate to buy something and suddenly in a few weeks it just appears the next model (It hapenned this to me with my first and my second iPod)
    So what else can i say...let's sit and wait for the next update...

5. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

also, you never know what other programs will be upgraded. iLife comes to mind, maybe we'll see it in June? but yeah, June should be the last point to wait for. October would just be too long for me.

6. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Montevina is just around the corner, well not a close corner but it's pretty close. Especially for a MacBook, I don't think the upgrade on it will be that significant compared to the other Macs in my opinion.

I would just wait til June for WWDC and see what Apple announces. Hope we all are lucky. Cheers!

7. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

No matter what, none of us are going to have the "greatest machine the world has ever seen" so what's the big deal really? If you want a Macbook, get a Macbook. All this talk about "should I wait for Leopard/Santa Rosa/The New Processor" drives me crazy. Who cares if the guy down the street has the Leopard and you've only got the Tiger. I've got the Core Duo and I'm completely satisfied with it. Does it bother me that others have Core 2 Duo? Or maybe that I don't have an external video card like the Mac Pro? Why should it? Mine's plenty fast for what I use it for. And mine upgrades just the same as the others.

Point being, be happy with what you got and don't worry about what else is better. Do you realize that you've created a THEORY just to determine if you should grab a Macbook or not? In addition, you created the SAME THREAD in two seperate parts of this forum. In no way am I trying to be disrespectful, I'm just trying to point out that perhaps we're thinking TOO HARD on this topic. The Macbook is a great machine, whether it's Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, or Centrino Pro. They'll all have their flaws. Nothing will be "perfect".

Lastly, I would like to point out that if you're worried about feeling "inadequate" or "gyped" compared to what's coming out in the near future, the computer/electronic industry isn't the best place to be. Something bigger/better/faster is always going to come out and no one will have the best for long.

That's my .02. Like I said, no disrespect, just my honest thoughts on the topic, from one Mac fan to another.

8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

MacBook's are an awesome machine no point waiting for an upgrade, I don't see one for a few months anyway, besides with your Edu discount your getting a killer deal anyway.....

ShadoW

9. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Are you saying that the Core 2 Duo wouldn't be useful for the next two to three years? I guess since mine's "just" a Core Duo, I'm really SOL. But doesn't your thought process here contradict the what you said below...

Here's a thought...that's going to happen to us ALL. (yes, even you) The question you need to ask yourself is "are you buying it for you or is your Mac going to be a status symbol?" My Core Duo Macbook still gets the same attention as someone with the Core 2 Duo. I don't care either way, I purchased mine for me, not to say that mine's the "top of the line".

10. GusR9 thread starter macrumors member

GusR9

at the end..

At the end everyone here thinks the same..we love Macs, we need Macs and we want Macs..no matter the last update or the way we're going to use them, they are made to enjoy and that are doing...(I'm enjoying the fact that soon I'm going to have a MacBook)

11. Derwillie macrumors newbie

I am also looking forward to getting a new macbook (although it will be my wife's). The upgrade to SR sounds great, but we're not waiting. She will use it for the web, basic word processing, watching movies, and photos/movies of the up-and-coming baby. When my laptop (PC) finally kick's it, I'll get a Mac with SR & Leopard, or Penryn & ? :D

12. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

OUTSTANDING! That's the attitude I was looking for. Good to go.

13. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Come on,

I know people using G4s still and are perfectly happy with it. It is seriously amazing how Tiger can still run so well on a very old machine like a Quicksilver G4 1ghz for example.

So whats my point? My point is that advancement in technology is supposed to help us (humans) do our job faster and better. But do not confuse advancement in technology to advancement in human behaviour in general. What i mean is that if you need your machine for lets say browsing the net, doing word processing and email, you do not need to get a quadcore mac pro or whatever because what youre doing hasnt changed.

For me, a mac is like a companion, the more you use it, the more it feels like a part of u. I jot down ideas in reason, mix it in logic, browse with safari, mail with mac mail, keep schedules with ical, keep in touch with address book, etc etc.

A mac is a wonderful piece of equipment that no matter what machine u get at any point, it is going to help you in your life whatever your field it is in.

14. operator macrumors regular

That's all you've got? A Core Duo?

Pfft.

15. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Compensating for something?

Pfft.

;)

16. operator macrumors regular

17. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I wasn't.

(ok yes I really was) :p

18. GusR9 thread starter macrumors member

GusR9

When??

When Apple could present the new MacBooks?

19. gburford macrumors newbie

I just bought my macbook from apple on line in the last few minuets and am excited about it.

I was going to wait but they had some good deals on the refurbished models so the savings bang for the buck made the final decision for me

Now I cant wait to receive it. I want it now!!!!!!!

20. skwij macrumors 6502

Good for you!

Buying now doesn't relegate you to antiquated hardware that can only run an even crappier OS (Windoze, anyone? ;) )

You've bought yourself a very nice machine, which will run well and make your computing life very happy.

For anyone reading and still sitting on the fence, for heaven's sakes just do it. Get a great machine that has the bugs worked out of it, and that will run the next OS great.

If we all wait til the next "best thing" we will never buy a computer. And that would just be sad, as OS/X is a delight. Period, 'nuff said,

21. sadrith131 macrumors newbie

This is my first post and i hate to start with an argument but. . .

I think your being a little narrow minded about the "not waiting for updates" issue.

I personally prefer to wait, providing it's not to long and that i can do without for a week or two, because it's not just about it being powerful now, if I spend that much money I want the longest service life I can get.

And more importantly it affects the re-sale value for when I decide to get a new machine in the future. Don't you think?

22. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

I'm going to college in the fall as well, and I bought my Macbook last week. It should be arriving tomorrow. I needed it this month rather than waiting until mid summer. I also got a 160Gb internal hard drive to replace the stock 80Gb hard drive.

With the Edu discount, Leopard is $70, I believe, so it's not that big of a deal. Tiger is already a great OS.