Planning to buy a new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GusR9, Apr 20, 2007.

1. GusR9 macrumors member

GusR9

hello to everyone
    I am planning to buy a new Apple MacBook this summer for college but after Apple announced the delay of Leopard until October I dont know what should I do. I have the hope that the new line of Intel processors (Centrino Pro) will be avaible for the MacBook soon enough at least for mid July it sounds very logical because it has been 164 days since the last update of the MacBook line (the average is 204) for July have passed away more than 200 days since the last update (and more than 250 for the MacBook Pro) and that for me it's too much...I also support my theory that summer is the second most important season of the year for Macs (after Christmas) and that is because school season starts and Apple tends to update his computers more soon than later, if Apple release the new line of MacBooks by October with the release of Leopard almost a year could pass away for the MacBook which is the best selling Mac and for that time many PC makers like Dell, HP could have Centrino Pro on their computers (IMPORTANT!! I dont want a PC I just try to focus on the PC market) and that it's not good for Apple.
    So...what should I do?
    I would buy my MacBook (hopefully soon) with the new Intel Centrino Pro and then buy Leopard on October and that it would be perfect for me (after all Tiger its OK).
    What do you think about that?
    There's at least a little chance of having a new MacBook line for this summer? (so I can buy one)

2. MacBoy69 macrumors newbie

Gone Crazy

Sounds like u gone crazy just like me. I have money sitting in my bank account. Not sure what to do. UGH.

:eek:

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I think you should give your money to Mr. Apple and get a Macbook now.

;)

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

With all the angst and indecision plaguing people over the issues of all things Apple related, there will soon be a need for counselors to help individuals realize that this is not a life or death matter. I certainly am not a power user and probably take advantage of 10 percent (if that) of the processing power and programs that come with a given system. There is nothing wrong with soliciting advice and recommendations, but nobody should become unglued over the process. Buy, enjoy and be thoroughly content for years to come ... and do not look back over your shoulder with regret.

5. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

That's well put. No matter what, none of us are going to have the "greatest machine the world has ever seen" so what's the big deal really? If you want a Macbook, get a Macbook. All this talk about "should I wait for Leopard/Santa Rosa/The New Processor" drives me crazy. Who cares if the guy down the street has the Leopard and you've only got the Tiger. I've got the Core Duo and I'm completely satisfied with it. Does it bother me that others have Core 2 Duo? Or maybe that I don't have an external video card like the Mac Pro? Why should it? Mine's plenty fast for what I use it for. And mine upgrades just the same as the others.

Point being, be happy with what you got and don't worry about what else is better. Do you realize that you've created a THEORY just to determine if you should grab a Macbook or not? In addition, you created the SAME THREAD in two seperate parts of this forum. In no way am I trying to be disrespectful, I'm just trying to point out that perhaps we're thinking TOO HARD on this topic. The Macbook is a great machine, whether it's Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, or Centrino Pro. They'll all have their flaws. Nothing will be "perfect".

Lastly, I would like to point out that if you're worried about feeling "inadequate" or "gyped" compared to what's coming out in the near future, the computer/electronic industry isn't the best place to be. Something bigger/better/faster is always going to come out and no one will have the best for long.

That's my .02. Like I said, no disrespect, just my honest thoughts on the topic, from one Mac fan to another.

6. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

^^^^^^^^

While that's all well and good, the new Macbooks will be better (or at least as good as the current MacBooks) in every area. None of this "all have advantages and disadvantages" stuff.

The new Macbooks will be better than the old ones. The old ones are at the end of their life-cycle. Buying one now if you don't absolutely have to is silly. End of.

SR MacBooks should be released within the next two-three months. If you can wait then you should.

7. ironring2006 macrumors member

I would say that if you're buying it for college in the fall, then there's no need to get it right now. The probability of Apple releasing an updated MacBook before September is pretty high. The Santa Rosa (Centrino Pro) platform is due to be released within the next couple weeks. The updated laptops should follow that. If you're fine with getting Tiger with your purchase and upgrading to Leopard later, then I would say wait, don't pull the trigger just yet.

Also, Apple has almost always had a back to school educational promotion in which if you purchased a Mac, you can throw an iPod onto your order for free*. Last year they did it via a rebate, so you had to pay for it up front and apply for a rebate cheque back and you don't get the tax back. My guess is that they'll do it again this year and then update the iPods sometime in October once they clean out the stock of the current generation with the promo.

8. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

LOL - I guess i'm SOL since I've got the original Core Duo. Are you sure my computer's REALLY at the end of it's life-cycle? I've had it for less than 1 year, and it seems to be working pretty well. Lets not be naive and think that just because someone has a Centrino Pro, that there won't be some advantages and disadvantages. What would make it different than anything else in life?
    That reminds me of all the people who are going to run out and trade up their Xbox 360 Premium for an Xbox 360 Elite just cause it's got the HDMI and a larger HDD. Someone's Xbox/Mac/Toilet Paper outperforms mine....big whoop. Taking your viewpoint into context, we should encourage him to spend an extra $1000 and get a Macbook Pro, cause it'll outperform the current Macbook (INCLUDING the upcoming Santa Rosa) on every level. But we don't...why? Because in the end whether he gets a CD, C2D, or Centrino Pro, we'll all have something "outdated". Just get something that'll make you happy. If you happen to be one of those fortunate kinda people who can always get the latest and greatest as soon as they come out, and that's what makes you happy, terrific! I just get what I can and don't look back.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, first off, it remains to be seen that they'll be better in EVERY area. I know a number of aspects where a MBP CD would be just as good as a C2D, and if you're a non power user, you probably won't notice too much of a difference between the two.

The problem with your logic is that by your standards, you'll NEVER get the machine you want, because there will ALWAYS be something better coming out if you wait just a little while longer. This type of analysis is self defeating.

The logical course of action is determine if the current technology meets your needs. If it does, GREAT! Buy and be happy. But if you feel your needs won't be met by current models, then wait for the next iteration.

Be honest about the assessment too. What will Santa Rosa give you that the current lineup cannot? And is it somthing you'll truly need and won't get by without?

10. parpart33 macrumors newbie

parpart33

Stability

I'm in the same situation, but I've already decided to go with the C2D, just can't decide on which model. My main point being I'd rather get the last in line of a platform that has been through all the bugs and problems and chosen to upgrade to higher hard drives and memory to get me through at least 2 years with the machine. I look at a new processor coming out as a new chance for possible errors to emerge. Going with the Core 2 Duo in my opinion is your best bet at getting a reliable machine, even if it isn't as fast as the new Santa Rosa, if you've been on the C2D MacBooks now, they fly! Hope this helps.