Planning to get a 27 iMac around June and...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rlnplehshalo, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Rlnplehshalo, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

As the title suggests I am planning on purchasing a new 27 imac, I'm willing to wait an extra month over my deadline if a new model is to be released.
    I currently own the 2008 24 inch model, but it lacks the necessary processor, graphics card etc. to meet my needs.

I understand that Intel is planning on releasing the new Ivy bridge processors very soon, I'm hoping that these will be included in the refresh. Does anyone here have any details related to the inclusion of Ivy bridge in apples plans?

I also was looking at getting 6GB+ RAM but for the current models you can only do this through the online store:/
    On top of this I believe that the video input to the iMac is somewhat limited to other mac's and not devices such as blu-ray players or a gaming console. Would anyone know if a HDMI input or seperate video input to the display is in the line for the refresh? This would be helfpul as I have an xbox 360 that has a HDMI input that would be great on it, I wouldn't be too fussed if I had to get a VGA cable instead. Although A single cable, unit to unit connection would be so much more conveniant than getting a $100+ adapter box which wouldn't even be able to output to 1080p.

I believe like some others that a design refresh is due and will probably happen but that's my opinion, I mean you can only get so many years out of a single design.

My ideal imac would be as follows
    -i7 processor quad core
    -8GB RAM
    -small SSD hard drive for OS + 750-1500GB 7400 rpm HDD
    -AND radeon HD graphics 1-2GB
    HDMI input/output

EDIT:
    Another thing I forgot to add. Does anyone know if I make a time machine backup to a portable hard drive will it backup my bootcamp partition and install on my new iMac with a straight up working bootcamp without having to reinstall windows?
    Thanks in advacne for all answers:D

2. simsaladimbamba

Going by the past and Apple's use of Intel's offerings, it is safe to assume, Apple will use the Ivy Bridge chips, there is nothing else new they can use anyway and Apple will not offer Sandy Bridge chips when new Ivy Bridge chips are available.

The Apple Online Store is not the only source to get Mac compatible RAM. Newegg, Crucial, Amazon and many other sources exist, where you can get the RAM for 1/4 of the price Apple charges, meaning you can get 8 GB RAM for 50 USD instead of 200 USD via Apple, thus for 100 USD you can upgrade any current iMac to 16 GB RAM, without going via Apple.

No one but Apple knows, but is highly unlikely. You may need a proper converter box for that.

Apple got five years out of the PowerBook G4 / MacBook Pro design.

Time Machine does not backup Windows partitions, you may need to look at Windows options of backing Windows up and using that backup on a new Windows installation on the new iMac.
    You could also look at Winclone. But know, that it is no longer developed and has still some bugs.

Also know, that the 2011 Macs only support Windows 7, thus the 2012 iMac will also only support Windows 7. As you may still have Windows XP or Vista, you need to upgrade then.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replys, as for the windows backup maybe a clean install is better for me anyway I can still put my programs to my HDD and install them that way.

I've got my fingers crossed that apple inlcudes the better processors and video input;)