Planning to get a 6S Plus, but..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gatteau, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Hello, as the title says, I'm planning to get a 6S Plus 128GB, but been wondering about the screen quality/resolution/PPI and how it seems very much inferior to various other phones in the same league as the 6S. Is the difference really visible in person or from day to day use?

I use my phone a lot in terms of media (movies, streams, etc..) consumption and I am a bit worried if maybe looking elsewhere is the right choice for me.

This comparison is what's holding me back a little right now.

2. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

I'm really not sure it makes sense to care about 2k+ screens when the screens are so small. And unless you're going to be constantly watching and/or viewing the same content on two different phones simultaneously, I really doubt you'll notice or even care.

3. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

On paper the specs should be similar to a $50 phone. However, Apple added some magic in their chip/display/whatever else because it eats everything alive.

Just because a number is lower doesn't mean it's bad. The screen on both the 6s and the 6s+ is the best LCD on the market, only getting beaten (marginally) by the OLED panels because, well, they're OLEDs. The CPU/GPU might look underpowered but it's beating 99% of the stuff on the market WITH JUST 2 CPU CORES I MIGHT ADD. GPU tests have the A9 be on-par with consoles and absolutely crapping on everything else the competition has to offer (the A8 also did that but to a lesser extend), so don't worry about that.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

For me it was the whole package. Camera, Apple ecosystem, performance, 3D Touch -- and the screen. The 6s plus is the higher resolution of the two models and I'm surprised to say I can tell. I watch a lot of video on mine and it looks fantastic. I'm very happy but there are some other awesome screens on current and upcoming Android phones.

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I either have, or have had, or have on pre-order, every single top of the line Android of any interest to me. I use them concurrently in concert with my various iPhones, now 6 Plus and 6S Plus.

With so much for the press / web sites / users to write about and so many individuals with their own agendas their personal preferences and use cases it's next to impossible to compare by simply reading others reports. Especially when the differences are less than dramatic. Remember they cannot proclaim them all superior or all equal for that matter. They've got to pick something to complain about. Often it ends up being much about nothing.

That's but one major reason I simply buy every phone of interest, evaluate each phone for myself and keep the ones I like each year until new models are released. Having a few dedicated lines allows me that luxury. It's the price of being an enthusiast.

Bottom line? It's very easy to over think your purchase before hand, and experience buyers remorse while you are waiting to receive it. Oh sure i have my personal preferences but I can assure you that the differences between top of the line displays in real world use today is minor at best. Many enthusiasts will argue to support their personal choice. But they're all quite good, just some are slightly better.

Step back, look at the big picture, try and ignore getting too concerned over just one aspect or feature of any phone.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I grew curious about the stonking Samsung screens and went to look at some. Whilst the S6 Edge Plus has a lovely colourful screen, text looks no more crisp and photos no more detailed than on the 6S+. I found that the Note 4 display actually looked a little dull, despite being ultra hig res. That baffled me. I do think that 1080p is more than enough, and the battery life savings reinforce this opinion. The 6S+ screen is great IMO.