Planning to get a MicroCell, but have a question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlkccom, Jul 13, 2010.

1. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, I didn't received a free MicroCell letter, so I will be purchasing one and paying out of my own pocket. Anyway, my question is, if I get a MicroCell and my phone is connected to it, I know it will still use my minutes out of my plan, but what about data? Right now, I'm connected to my wifi when I'm at home, so it doesn't use the data out of my 2GB quota. What I'm trying to say is, is it possible to be connected to the Microcell for voice call, while it's connected to my wifi for my download? :confused:

2. jameskk macrumors regular

If data goes through the M-Cell it counts towards your 2GB. If using Wifi it doesn't. Very simple.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As he said, if you are connected to "a" WiFi (either yours, your neighbor, public open wifi, MiWi, MiFi, any WIFI hotspot) your phone will route "data" usage using that Wifi. If you are connected to a GSM network (either AT&T public wireless or your own Mcell network) your data usage is bill at standerd rate, so if you have the 2GB plan then it will count from that.

4. thep33t macrumors regular

I think what the OP is asking is if it is possible to be connected to the M-Cell for voice calls while being connected to wifi simultaneously for data, and to that I have no answer.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, that is what he asked,,and that is what we answered....what is not clear about...."if you are connected to Wifi (any wifi) all your data will be router on that wifi network, all the voice call will be router using the GSM network...that being the Mcell or the public AT&T network."

6. HOPTOAD macrumors newbie

Yes, that is how I have mine set up. Voice is over M-Cell and data over my WiFi. There have been some problems reported (and faced by me) of garbled calls when using the M-Cell. If that happens to you try to put the M-Cell in priority mode.

7. nlkccom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just got my mcell today. Had it setup this evening and it's working great. Data still doing through wifi, voice via mcell. So far so good! :p