Planning to get an ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Esrb99, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Esrb99 macrumors member

Im using a MBP , and have been eyeing the 30" cinema display. as I work with logic 8, I eed all the screen real estate I can get. I know there's an update on the horizon (Jan, possibly) with led being added, however it seems that the cost will go WAY up. Also, new features may be added that may not be compatable with my MBP (resolution, special connections, etc. The only thing I can think of is taht they might make it easier to connect my 360 somehow, and then I'd be pissed. What do you all think the likelihood is of that or other features that may be worth the wait coming in January?

2. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I don't know when the displays will be updated, but I can't imagine the prices going up when they do. In fact, I would expect them to drop significantly since they're so overpriced/outdated right now (not that they aren't fantastic displays though).

3. Esrb99 thread starter macrumors member

I dunno, but Jobs did say led backlighting is a goal for them, and all led 30" displays out now are 5 grand.

4. RobLS macrumors member

Great found a 30" cinema display thread. My answer for the OP is if you can wait til January, if they don't update them, get it then, if they do, get it under their clearance section for cheaper.

Heres my question. What makes their displays so good still even though they are way outdated in specs but beat displays that should easily beat them.
    I mean 700:1 contrast ratio, 15ms or up there response time. I heard that materials being used were higher quality, but does that really make up for the low stats on it for current times? I mean there are now displays out there that are 20000:1 contrast ratio with 2ms response time. My LG is 3000:1 and 2ms response time, yet when I upload pics with an obvious dark scale gradient, then it all blotches up, unlike the years old cinema displays.
    Please debaffle me someone, I can't find a place online that tells me why all this is the way it is.

5. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

They're H-IPS displays.

20000:1 contrast ratio is probably [1000,2000]:1 real "contrast" and the rest being "dynamic," i.e. BS.

You won't get sub 10ms response times on an *-IPS or a *-PVA panel, only on the cheap TN panels.

Yes they're "inferior" in price to say the new *-IPS dells, but that's their one flaw.

6. RobLS macrumors member

*major sigh of relief* Many thanks to you my friend :D
    So what is prefered, -IPS or -PVA?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Both are good. :)
    The NEC's are H-IPS and Eizo Nanao uses S-PVA, and seem to be liked by graphics pros in particular.

Though I'm not a graphics pro, my experience is with the Eizo's, and have been really happy. :D

8. RobLS macrumors member

Well I am looking for a 'real' display. Referring obviously to the -IPS and the like. I just bought a nice performing LG display, but more for general media use (5 stars). But I will want to be moving to around a 30" around Jan. or by then and have a D300 for my photography. I was just disgusted by some images when uploaded to that display, so much that I unplugged the display at times to look at them on the MBP. So if you could refer some hi performing displays, but hopefully nicer on the cost, that would be great.

9. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Definitely -IPS, -PVA is a a mid-range panel, it's got fairly low refresh (good), but color accuracy isn't as good (very narrow field of vision for accuracy), -IPS is just amazingly good. That said, I have two displayers, a cheap TN BenQ 24" and a ACD 23." Even with both calibrated it's amazing how much better the ACD is, if you do graphics work (especially print) it's a worthy investment.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Here's a few 30" models that should be in the performance range you're interested in. ;)

NEC LCD3090WQXi ($2200 MSRP)*.
    • H-IPS

Dell Ultra Sharp 3008WFP ($1999 MSRP)*.
    • S-IPS

Eizo Nanao Flex Scan SX3031W ("budget" version).

Eizo Nanao Color Edge CG301W
    • 12 bit LUT
    • 16 bit Processing
    • PMA is listed as the specific panel

The Dell 3007 might look good as it's cheaper, it didn't seem to rate all that well. A colorimeter would help this considerably, and would be a wise investment anyway.

I hope one of these, particularly the NEC, would fit your budget. :D

Good luck. :)

* All prices in US Dollars. Hopefully street prices would be better. :p

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The ACDs are amazing, but they are S-IPS, not H-IPS. The newer displays from Nec and Eizo and the one 30" Dell ($2000 one) with the better specs are H-IPS.

For the price they can't be beat however, unless you go with a cheaper panel. Just being a nerd, sorry. :eek:

p.s. Nanofrog, the monitors you mention are the ones I point people too ALL THE TIME, great job.

12. RobLS macrumors member

Thank you all for the quick suggestions. I was actually looking at that NEC and apparantly is got best in macworld or something. The guy from dpreview also used it in his setup and was very pleased. I will be waiting til the big event at the beginning of '09, but if nothing shows, I will be definately getting that NEC. Thank you all for your quick suggestions again :)

13. RobLS macrumors member

Oh, forgot to add one more thing. Even though I am getting a display like this for the amazing quality and accuracy of the picture, would it still be nice for games? I am still a casual gamer and will play a game like Spore or World of Warcraft every now and then. I heard that World of Warcraft looks fantastic on the ACD. So I would assume it will all be good for the NEC as well?

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

The NEC's seem to have a great bang-for-the-buck these days. ;)

Not sure about the 30" Dell, as I've not seen one, but the specs really do look good.

On the Eizo's, I recall seeing the Flex Scan uses MPA, and the Color Edge uses *-IPS, but I didn't find it this time. So I left it out. The data sheet only listed TFT. Waaay too vague...:rolleyes:

Can you shed a little light on this?
    And of course the price. :eek: Is it just me, or have they gone a little insane?

I don't think it would be a problem for occasional gaming, from other posts. Other members might be better at answering this one though.

I wouldn't rely on the *ms specs, as tend to be misleading. :eek: