Planning to make an iMac monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kgian, Oct 17, 2016.

1. kgian macrumors regular

I am about to embark in a special project. I am going to get my hands on an empty imac 2011 21.5 shell, with speakers, power supply, panel and front glass. I am going to try to turn it into a stylish "apple" monitor.

If all goes well I will have the item in my possession next weekend.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

What motherboard and stuff you putting in there. Or .. will it be like a 'tv' with an apple tv and your cable coax in there :)

3. kgian thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of using a controller board available on ebay. I have already done it with an old laptop monitor. Now that I am checking more thoroughly though I see that there are certain difficulties with the panel in the 2011 imac, model # LG LM215WF3 (SD) (C2).

There is this board on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-VGA-L...673371?hash=item1c6e1ff8db:g:vpcAAOSwWKtUr67K but the connector for the backlight seems different.

4. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Doesn't Apple use laptop parts in the iMacs. So theoretically if you just buy parts of macbooks you should be okay right?

5. kgian thread starter macrumors regular

Actually each kit is tailored to a specific panel model. The eBay store told me they have a suitable kit for my panel but I asked some extra questions to be sure. Waiting for their answer...