Planning to replace Air Keyboard, anyone did it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by krishmk, Jul 4, 2015.

1. krishmk macrumors regular

I have two keys not working due to liquid damage which happened 3 years ago. Looked at iFixit and youtube and seems like a job that can be done easily. Looked at eBay and have a few keyboards available for my model and are only $23 or so.

Anyone did this by themselves and have found issues that are not discussed on iFixit?

This is Mid 2011 Mac Air 13", not worth taking to apple which charges an arm and a leg for an older laptop and this is an hand-me-down for free.

2. lazydog macrumors 6502a

Hi
    Yes I've replaced the keyboard on the same model Air. It wasn't difficult but perhaps a bit fiddly.

I'm not sure what iFixit says or recommends, but you will need about 50 small screws to fasten the new keyboard down (these came with the new keyboard). When I took the old keyboard off I didn't manage to get all the rivets off, so I only used about 30 of these screws and as a result the keyboard feels a little bit spongy in places. It doesn't bother me that much but I think it would be best if you get all the rivets off so that you can screw the keyboard down properly. The other thing I would say is when you open up the Air be careful not to damage the wires going to the WIFI modules as they are a bit fragile.

There are some really good instructions (sorry can't remember the url) on how to get the old keyboard off. The trick is to use a hair dryer to get the plastic backing and light pipe off in one go, and some sticky tape to help with the rivets.

good luck!

b e n

3. krishmk thread starter macrumors regular

I have looked at a youtube video and the guy said to remove all rivets, else keyboard will look sloppy. I am planning to buy the keyboard with screws for sure.
    Thanks for tip on wifi module wire. I am not a patient man and I will take enough time to do each step. Hopefully the wires are not too attached or stuck to the board.

4. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Do you have a guide on how to do it?

5. krishmk thread starter macrumors regular

I just finished replacing the keyboard and it came out perfect.
    Took 3.30 hours from start to finish.
    ifixt.com as guides, just follow them to the dot.
    Youtube has some videos too.

Make sure to get a proper tool set. I bought the tools from Amazon, but the phillips 1.0 screw driver was messed and I had to spend lot of time putting the screws on keyboard.

Make sure to order a keyboard with screws that way you can use them instead of rivets.