Planning to restore iPhone as new device. How will this impact my Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by LaurieAnn, Mar 26, 2017.

1. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

I've had my iPhone 6s for about a year and a half. It's getting slow and having some issues that I think would be resolved if I restored it to original factory settings and set up as a new device. I don't want to use a backup. What downstream effects will this have on my Apple Watch Series 2? I also have Apple Pay set up. Will I also need to restore my watch as well or do I leave it alone? The only thing I have installed is HeartWatch and AutoSleep. i would be OK if I lost all that data.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68030

casperes1996

It'll definitely have to be reconfigured, but assuming you use the same Apple ID, I think the data residing locally on the Apple Watch can carry over, though I'm not sure

What kind of problems are you having though? I'm sure we can resolve it in other ways

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

All Health data will be lost as well as all Fitness data. You will have to set up the :apple:Watch as just like new and wipe EVERYTHING on it. You can't pair it without a FULL wipe of all data and settings.

4. LaurieAnn thread starter macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

My battery is draining quicker than normal and I don't think my iPhone is consistently communicating to my Apple Watch like it should. I'm not always getting text messages sent to my watch and am missing them on occasion on both devices. A couple days ago, my Apple Watch just suddenly shut down and I couldn't get it to turn back on. I had to hold down the crown and side button until it rebooted. I forgot to mention that I also have Carrot Weather with its complication on my watch screen. It's not always up to date and accurate. Often it has one my my secondary cities which is not my default home city showing.

I am also getting warnings that my iCloud storage is almost full but I don't have anything configured to be backed up except for the bare necessities which don't take up hardly any space. I don't have my photos chosen to be backed up either.

I'm pretty tech savvy and read the troubleshooting posts on this forum all the time. So I know what I should be doing in regards to turing off notifications, background refreshing, raise to wake, screen brightness, etc. I don't have any rouge apps that are phoning home all the time. I tend to wonder if all the iOS updates on top of each other over the year and a half are slowing things down and perhaps a clean install would breath new life into my phone. I want to keep it until the iPhone 8 comes out.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 68030

casperes1996

Hm. Fair enough. Regarding iCloud, have you checked what's taking up space, and what the size of the next backup is estimated to be? 5GB is really not much, And even not backing up photos and whatnot, two devices quickly takes it all up just for backups.

All your other issues, I don't know much about bur your restore idea sounds like a solid state to start. Though I don't think there'd be any problem with doing it from a backup as I think the way that it is done, is that an entirely fresh copy of iOS is installed, after which apps are restored from the App Store Server as fresh, and user data is the only thing copied from the backup.
    Shouldn't at all be a problem with iOS updates and usage piling up though. First of all OS cleanups and maintenance that happens automatically should take care of it, and second, I have devices that are really quite old and on beta programs so they get updates constantly, that function pretty much as brand new - aside from physical things caused by drops, such as the power connector being hard to insert.

6. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I'm having the exact same issues re notifications . I've unpaired and repaired which I hoped would have solved the problem. It did with what's app but I've just noticed today I've been missing email and texts. They get sent to the phone and watch but don't trigger the Taptic on the watch. Also I use dark sky complication for weather and it's doing exactly the same as you said Carrot was!

I'm gonna hold off until update comes out in the hope that this is just bugs that'll be fixed with its release. I really don't want to have to restore and lose data.

7. wvayens macrumors member

This was the biggest "surprise" for me when I recently restored my iPhone as a new device. As far as I know, there is no way around this.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

There is actually a way to transfer just the Health and Activity data to a new phone: Decipher Activity Transfer tool

I've used it before (I think the demo version handles just the Health and Activity data; for more backup/restore options you need to pay) and it worked perfectly.

9. wvayens macrumors member

Thans for the info...wasn't familiar with this. It could be very helpful in the future.

10. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

Personally I think the nuclear option of starting over without a restore from iCloud or iTunes is a little extreme and may not resolve the issue, but it sounds like you've weighed your options. I suppose you can always try that and then restore from a backup. Without the restore... If you don't care about what you will lose, and having to install your apps again one by one, then maybe you will end up with both devices functioning normally. If not, then at least you know you have a problem with at least one of your devices.

When did your problems start? With an iOS and WatchOS update? After you installed an app?

Restoring from backup should not actually restore the cruft from all your previous iOS updates (I've been restoring from backup to new iPhones ever since the iPhone 3G). The OS doesn't get backed up. You're just restoring your apps, app data, photos, music, settings, etc. Of course if one of your apps is the problem (usually the case in my experience) there are other ways to deal with that and it sounds like you are aware of reviewing the apps that use battery and background data. I have had apps start to tank my battery life after an update, and the app battery usage has been helpful in identifying the culprit. I wish you could do the same on the watch. Every now and then my watch battery life will tank until I install another round of app updates, and then things return to normal.

I've been using Carrot Weather and Dark Sky for most of the almost 2 years I have had my watch (I prefer Carrot's complications, so that's what is on most of my watch faces). I don't know if either of these were the culprit in my most recent battery life issues, but I only had to live with it for a few days before things returned to normal. Normal activity returned after a bunch of app updates so it could have been any of them that I regularly have docked or as a complication.

The iCloud usage probably isn't a problem, but it's so cheap to get additional iCloud storage. It's worth paying 12 bucks a year to me so I don't have to worry about it, but it's kind of silly that Apple doesn't just start you off with the 50 GB level. Anywho... I try to delete old unused apps from time to time just to cut down on the clutter. I still have an insane amount of apps on my iPhone 6 (I'm a bit of an app junkie). I try a lot of them on my watch as well, but I am much more selective about what I keep on my watch.

Since you have reviewed background data usage for your apps and haven't found any smoking guns, there is a very good chance the problem is simply your iPhone's battery. Every iPhone I have owned gradually degrades in terms of battery. Battery life in Year 2 is never quite what it was in Year 1, and somewhere in Year 3 battery life will get bad enough that it starts to be an inconvenience.

So iPhone battery is one problem, and Watch syncing is another. Sometimes the problem there is the app and not the watch or the phone. Make sure your iOS, WatchOS and apps are up to date. If an app isn't updating regularly for you, try a different one. I use Carrot and I haven't noticed a problem, but then again this time of year where I live it's always cloudy or raining... so I may not notice if the complication isn't up to date.

Sean