Planning to sell Powerbook... can software be included?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cadet311, Mar 13, 2009.

1. cadet311 macrumors newbie

This seemed like the right forum, so I apologize if it's not.

I'm gearing up to sell my 17" G4 Powerbook. I've installed iLife 08 and Leopard.

Can I include the software with the sale? I want to avoid any legality issues or Apple going bezerk because the same iLife shows up as registered to two different people.

I plan on wiping the computer before I sale/send.

Thank you for your assistance.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You should be able to include the software if you include the disks. Sometimes people try to keep the disks and use them again, and that's not proper. However, if you include the disks and haven't made a copy, then you should be fine.

3. cadet311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I upgraded to an iMac and have everything that came with that, so no need to keep any of the software.

All discs would be included. I was just wondering about any issues that might arise if they try to register ilife or something like that.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd definitely wipe the computer first; you don't want your personal data on it. There have been arguments about reselling the Leopard Install disk (the retail disk), but you're including it with the system you installed Leopard on. Ethically, it would be improper to sell the Leopard disk while you still had the computer you installed that copy of Leopard on.

5. cadet311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I had thought. Everything I used on the powerbook is going with it. Nothing is staying and nothing was borrowed from the iMac.

I'm actually one of those guys who follow laws ;)

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You can sell the software with it, as long as you include the CD's with the computer, and include the licensing key. If there was no CD (you downloaded the software) you can include that as long as you include the licensing key.

Don