Planning to unlock iPhone 3G first time, for 3.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by faiyez, Jun 9, 2009.

1. faiyez macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G.

My iPhone has a clean, untouched install of software version 2.2.1
    It has never been jailbreaked, unlocked or modified in any way.

I want to unlock and jailbreak my iPhone so it will work with my new, unsupported carrier.

I would like to know if it is still possible for me to do this via yellowsn0w. I don't really know where to start or how to do it. Software version 3.0 is right around the corner and the people behind yellosn0w will most likely release their patch or whatever so you can download the update but not the baseband.

I want to yellosn0w my iPhone when they have their fix available for 3.0
    Is it possible or am I too late for yeallowsn0w to work under an untouched 2.2.1?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Keep an eye open for the Dev Team to come up with JB 3.0 and the unlock 3.0. Shouldn't be too much longer......:cool::cool::cool:

3. faiyez thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, but I need someone to confirm if I can start jailbreaking my phone under firmware 2.2.1 and its updated baseband, with the final aim of unlocking it when yellowsn0w for 3.0 software comes out.

I have another question. The SIM card that I'm going to use requests a four number PIN on startup. I know that this is problematic. How do I disable the PIN request on a SIM card?

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

For the Jailbreak, yeah, easy. Not so much for the unlock. That will take some time.

5. faiyez thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I kind of figured out what I could do. I already jailbreaked my device via QuickPwn. Because I'm running on 2.2.1 it's using an updated baseband that's incompatible with yellowsn0w. It's possible to downgrade the baseband via an app called FuzzyBand, but only if the device uses a certain bootloader which is 5.08 IIRC. I have 5.09 and this cannot be downgraded, which leaves me unable to downgrade the baseband, so I'm kind of screwed for now... I'm going to have to wait till system software version 3.0 comes around and wait a for good time until a new unlock solution comes around that will be compatible with 3.0's software and new baseband.

Please correct me if I got anything wrong.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You will need a SIM adapter such as a Gevey SIM, or TurboSIM.