Planning to upgrade in 2012, what to buy now!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ladylogic, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. ladylogic macrumors newbie

    Jan 3, 2008
    Hi all,

    Apologies for another "what to buy" post, but I've been combing this site for the past two days and am still stuck.

    I was trying to hold out til the 2012 redesign, but I'm too frustrated with my current MBP's performance (2006 2.16GHZ Core 2 Duo) for my tasks (Ableton Live, Logic, Photoshop and The Sims 3). So, my plan is to buy the current refresh, and then sell when the 2012 redesign comes out and upgrade.

    As such, I'm trying to figure out what machine to buy that meets my needs now and would have excellent resale value.

    I'm set on the 2.2 15", with hi res screen (haven't decided between glossy or anti-glare, am going to the Mac Store in about an hour to check them out).

    I'm debating between three options for drives:

    Option 1: Just stick with the 500g 7200 RPM drive for the year, since I'll be upgrading in 2012.

    Option 2: Go for the 256g SSD drive for the extra $450 (education discount) [This is enough to hold all of my programs and my loops, with an external for music/video]

    Option 3: Get the 500g 7200 RPM drive, buy the Vertex 3 or new Intel 256 SSD when it comes out, and install it in the Superdrive bay. When I go to sell, put the Vertex 3 SSD in as the primary drive, put the superdrive back in (so that the warranty is a go) and keep the 7200 RPM drive as an external backup.

    My only concern with Option 3 is that The Sims 3 uses the game disc in the superdrive for authentication, so an external ODD might be annoying.

    One other question: When does Apple release "Revision B" of the refresh? I.e., how long does it take for all the bugs to be discovered and be fixed?

    Thanks in advance!!
  2. modit macrumors 6502

    Apr 8, 2008
    You could do what I'm a base refurb MacBook Pro i5 2010 model and sell it when the time comes for whatever the market will pay.

    It's like renting it for a year and the loss selling it is the rental price.

    I waited since Sept 2010 for a redesign so I'm not waiting any longer XD

    Just my 2 cents...:cool:
  3. vincenz macrumors 601


    Oct 20, 2008
    What makes you think there will be a redesign in 2012? They might even redesign it by October, you never know.
  4. modit macrumors 6502

    Apr 8, 2008

    Remember...never hold your breath :D
  5. ladylogic thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 3, 2008
    Rephrase - I'd like to use the computer until the next major redesign, which has been suggested to happen in late 2011 or early 2012...

Share This Page