Planning to upgrade my UNIBODY Macbook Pro 15" Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rashid Alkaabi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Rashid Alkaabi macrumors member

2. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

i heard both are good, just go with the cheaper one.

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Ditto. Also don't forget you can get some cashback some referral sites if you get the crucial memory.

4. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

i think owc also has a trade-in program so u get some cash back for giving them ur current memory in exchange of the new one.

5. Rashid Alkaabi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, but If you have the choice, which one are you going to chose ? "Based on Quality"

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Ha. I was about to post the same thing.
    But if I'd be you, I would keep your current RAM somewhere safe, cause I read Apple might not take it in for repair if there's a problem.

7. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Read that where? The RAM is a user servicable part, please don't spread false information without showing evidence of your 'claim'.

8. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

brilliant, didnt realise it was that cheap! :)
    i know this has probs been asked alot before, but i need clarification -
    Does installing new ram in your UNIBODY MBP void the warranty?
    Sorry mate, not jacking your thread, thought you might also like to know that :)

9. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

10. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

And you shouldn't call things "false" without evidence of your own. I can back up his claim. I was told by an Apple Store Genius only last week that I had to remove my third party (OWC) RAM and replace it with the original Apple-supplied RAM prior to service. They wouldn't service the computer while the third-party RAM was installed.

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'd do the same if i were you, go take your lappy in for a repair with 3rd party RAM installed,see what they have to say

12. Phat Ham macrumors member

geez OWC RAM prices have been dropping like a rock. The 4GB kit is down to $69.99 since the time of your post. It was $80 when I bought the kit 2 weeks ago. Maybe you should just wait another week and the price will come down another $10.

The OWC RAM I bought has been working flawlessly for the week+ I've had it in my machine. FWIW, it is relabeled Nanya RAM.

Crucial is also very reputable.

13. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I have done with the Powerbook when the logic board was playing up - they said nothing about it...

14. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

i got OCW ram 2 x 2GB DDR 3 and they used Nanya chips which Apple uses in my MacBook before. Now on Unibody MBP 2.4, works flawlessly.:D

15. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

16. godaz macrumors regular

Both work well ive heard, I would chose more expensive option just for the piece of mind.

17. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Don't complain, I paid $120 for Crucial as a Christmas gift for my brother.
    :p

18. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

It just sucks if down the line you become eligible for replacement, and you have sold the original RAM to purchase an upgrade. You are "required" to send the machine back to them as it arrived to you.

Has anyone tried the RAM rebate thing from OWC? See the attached image

Attached Files:

19. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

So if my RAM modules were to fail for instance, I get rid of them and replace them and then I have to send in for repair for a different reason down the line - what am I as a customer supposed to do? Return my MBP with no memory modules in the machine? Return with the old, broken modules inside that don't work?

That extends to HDD's. Am I to remove any HDD's I add/replace of my Mac Pro because it's not in the original condition. And the added memory, I have to remove also :p? If my HDD array were to fail, and I replaced the lot - I'm suddenly not allowed to send it back? lol

I find it short-sighted of Apple to take this stance, and can't believe any of these claims. personally, that this is the official stance from Apple to refuse repair - and I'd be rightly annoyed as you said if I had to do that, and would have a 'word' with the store genius or phone rep if they had a problem with it... It sounds to me more likely that certain employees have certain "ideas" that are wrong, as evidence that the genius I dealt with didn't even mention the fact I had added memory modules.

20. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

ah, the it must be better cause its more expensive mentality. they do say there's one born every minute. FYI, most companies don't make their own RAM, they just relable and put their names on it and jack up the price. there are only a few RAM makers out there, crucial, samsung..etc. find the correct RAM and get whichever is the cheapest. so don't be one.

21. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I upgraded the HDD in my powerbook a few years ago, the DC board went bad a year later. I took it in *out of warranty* for a repair estimate and the Genius said they couldn't touch it because I had done upgrades myself.

And as far as the RAM goes, I haven't experienced that first-hand. I just know they tell you that you should return the computer with the exact specifications it was sent to you.
    Extenuating circumstances like "the RAM modules failed months ago so I replaced them" would surely allow you to bypass this.
    Since it is considered a "User-serviceable Part" it would not be a warranty issue, and now with the Unibody's easy-access HDD it is included in the category "User-serviceable" the HDD shouldn't be an issue either. Unless said replaced parts CAUSED the damage to your machine which warranted a repair. In which case Apple would come after you for the costs of diagnostics at least, and give you a ring saying "you did this, its going to cost this much to fix it"

Sorry if I was unclear in my original post. :eek:

22. landis macrumors regular

RAM is a user replaceable part. what this means is that if you change your ram and something goes wrong with the computer (READ: not RAM), you can send it in with the third party ram. i have done this many times, and they do not care. the only thing that will not fix is if there is something wrong with your ram.

most of the time geniuses are wrong, so i never really listen to them

apple sells ram too that you can upgrade your self, it will be the exact same sticks you are putting in but with an apple sticker for more money.

the same goes for hard drives, they do not care if you upgrade or add more drives.

unless you have applecare this wont even matter after 1 year.

23. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Exactly my thoughts. The Apple genius in this example, was wrong.

24. Rashid Alkaabi thread starter macrumors member

Just placed an order from Crucial, and I wish to get what's expected :)..

25. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

If the problem with your computer is such that it's possible that the RAM is causing the issue, then yes, they would ask you to put the stock RAM back in, because that is covered under their warranty. If it's unrelated (HDD failure, battery, screen etc etc) they wont care what RAM you have.