Plans and questions on a Hard Drive upgrade for a future MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I had many questions based on a simple, yet efficient way of replacing a HD for my future MBP.

When and where these new MBPs will release, I'll be sure to upgrade my Hard Drive. I currently own a 320 GB external, and in dire need of a 500 GB due to limits in space. How soon would manufacturers like Western Digital or SeaGate make a notebook- sized 500 GB drive, and how much might it cost?

Also, if I am too afraid of replacing it, can I take it to an Apple store and have them do it for me? I wouldn't mind a small fee, just if it's a pain to install yourself. Let me know what's right. I can already tell installing 4GB RAM will be a piece of cake. It's just the hard drive that looks complicated, having to take apart the keyboard to see the entire inside of the notebook!

Thanks for any help in regards to these questions.

2. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

3. gwaereth macrumors newbie

gwaereth

Quick follow up

Good posts. Just wondering if, in selecting the replacement drive, there are any tech specs I should be particularly concerned with? Wondering about operating temps, or buffer sizes? I'm not even sure what, but wanted to ask.

I've got a MBP, 2.16Ghz, Core 2 (not duo). Circa 06/2006.

Much obliged.