Plans with little or no data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by guspasho, Mar 20, 2013.

1. guspasho macrumors regular

I want to get a friend an iPhone but I'm wondering if an iPod Touch isn't the best choice. She loses her old iPod Touch a lot so I'm afraid she might lose a new one, but she doesn't lose her phone, so an iPhone might be the best solution. Here's the rub. She doesn't want to pay for a data plan, or have an expensive plan, and I don't want to pay $650+ in up-front costs for the device, I was expecting more like $200-300. Is there a US carrier in Hawaii that can meet my needs, or am I being unrealistic?

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

If your friend wants an inexpensive plan and a new iPhone then the iPhone will be expensive. The price is lower on used iPhones or a new iPhone 4 or 4S. The best prices are from prepaid MVNOs that rent out network capacity from the big carriers.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So let me see.
    She don't want to pay too much for a monthly plan, and don't want to sign a 2 year contract to get one for $199 but still wants to get one for cheap. Lol:D
    Only if she gets a used unlocked iphone 4 or something on ebay or Cl and gets a prepaid plan with straight talk or net10 or any other gsm carrier.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not possible. Neither Verizon nor AT&T or any other carrier will sell you an iPhone for $200-$300 without a contract.

Even an iPhone 4 would be $450 if you buy it without a contract--and that iPhone is outdated at this point.

Anyway, iPhones aren't for people who don't want to pay for data plans. I think the iPod touch would be a better choice.

5. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Her best option for a new iPhone would likely be to add her line to an existing family plan. She could get an inexpensive new phone and split the bill with the other lines.

6. brn44 macrumors newbie

I bought a iPhone 5 outright & use Straight Talk for $45 month through Walmart. Its working fine. I know the unlimited date is not as it sounds but 2GB month will work for me. You could buy a used iPhone off e-bay as long as it is a CDMA.