Plasma VS. LCD

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
We're getting a new HDTV soon (probably 50" range) and Im trying to figure out/remember which is better: plasma or LCD...help!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Heb1228 said:
Plasma will work better for larger sizes and will look better if its gonna be in a bright room. Thats the direction I'd go at this point.
Good point! I failed to take in consideration the size he was looking to get.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I like LCD better. Plasma has had too many problems. I hear those are being fixed with more recent models, but I would still be leery.

That said. If you want around 50", you don't really have a choice except Plasma.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
OK...

LCD:

- i think they only go up to 40in (anything higher than that will be really expensive!)
- better overall picture in my opinion
- longer lasting
- problems displaying a 'true' black

Plasma:

- Cheaper at larger sizes (80" is the largest i have seen in person)
- burnout problems (apparently this is less of an issue now, however how much you can trust the companies that are trying to sell you a £4000 TV when they tell you this is unknown!)
- older tech

I went with a 40in LCD by Sony, and have absolutely no problems with it, it's picture was the best to my eyes, and i was never going to buy plasma because of the burnout problems!

My best advice, be aware of the limitations of both types (burnout/difficulty in displaying 'black') and check them out with your own eyes, pick what you think looks best!

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Triple chip DLP.

Plasma = burn-in = junk.

DLP's cheaper, too. Unless you absolutely need the flat panel, anything over 42" you should buy DLP. And make sure it's triple chip.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
...and didn't plasmas have problems with longevity. The screen was only good for a few years....