Plasti Dip a Band?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by UKFan643, May 14, 2015.

1. UKFan643 macrumors regular

So I've got a 42mm Sport WSB coming to me tomorrow. I also have a black sport band on order that won't be here until early June. I absolutely hate the idea of wearing a white band so I'm considering using plasti dip on it to hold me over. I've checked some swap sites and no one has what I want who wants what I have. Are there other 3rd party options that are like the sport band or is this the best I can get in the meantime?

2. J.C macrumors 6502

I don't know much bout the product but if it adds more than a tiny amount to the surface of the band you wont be able to fit it back in the watch. Maybe you're good at applying this stuff well but I wouldn't be. I'd end up with something that looked way worse than just a color I didn't fancy.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Why didn't you just buy the watch with the black band in the first place?

4. RodChester, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

Because the aluminum sport doesn't ship with a black band.

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I assume because OP wanted the silver sport and a black band, an option not available straight out of the box.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Ah, yes, I misread. I mentally saw "watch with WSB" and missed the "sport watch" part. My apologies.

7. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

There are knock offs on eBay that may hold you over...

8. orev macrumors regular

This is a really bad idea. It's going to look like crap and won't work well at all, not to mention you'll be ruining something you could probably sell for $40-$50. Is it really so difficult to wait a few weeks until you get the other band?

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Just wear the white band. It's quite attractive.

10. rhsmd1 macrumors member

11. wepiii macrumors 6502

The nice thing about plastidip is that it is easily removable. I don't think it will work on a watch band, because of the flexible nature of the band, but it won't hurt anything to try.

I saw on another thread someone posting about dyeing the white band. That would probably work, but if it didn't turn out the way you want it there is no going back.

12. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I'd say try it. Plastidip usually peels right off w/e it sticks to.

13. UKFan643 thread starter macrumors regular

As others have mentioned, Plasti dip won't ruin anything. It's a plastic bond that can peel right off if it doesn't work. I wouldn't mess with dying or doing anything like that because that would actually ruin it.

----------

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking PlastiDip is the best answer. Won't ruin it. Worst thing that can happen is I waste a little of the product.

14. orev macrumors regular

I'm not an expert on Plasti-Dip, but I have to assume that in order to stay liquid it contains some kind of solvent which evaporates when it dries. I would at least test on a small spot to see if the solvent has any effect on the band material before doing a full dip.