Plastic Back on 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukeman3000, May 22, 2008.

1. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

So I have "heard" that the new 3G iPhone that will be unveiled on June 9th will use plastic instead of brushed metal for the back? Is this true?

If this hasn't actually been confirmed one way or the other, which is more likely? Personally, I would see this as a total downgrade and would almost consider getting a non-3G iPhone with a metallic back because 3G is not fully supported in my area yet anyways, so...

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

No one knows.

It is unlikely, I think. Partially because many people would see plastic as a downgrade, and partially because Apple has been switching to recyclable aluminum and getting rid of plastic throughout their product lines. If they did switch to plastic, there would be a few motivating factors, though. It would allow for a sleek back of the device (no designated antenna section visible from the outside) and it would make the device a tiny bit lighter.

3. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously, if they end up using plastic I will be severely disappointed. The brushed metal is one of the coolest aesthetic features and makes it really stand out from the crowd. I sincerely hope they do not stray from their current design too far.

Edit: As far as making it lighter... well I had an AT&T 8525 (just sold it in preparation to buy the new iPhone lol), and one of the things that I disliked about it was the plasticy feel of the phone. Granted, with exception to freezing occasionally and doing weird stuff with calls, it was a powerful phone and I got a lot of use out of it, but when I picked up my friend's iPhone, it felt so much better. As for me, I prefer heavier to lighter, within reason.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I hope they stick with Aluminum as it scratches not as much. Plastic would not be good.... IMO

5. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good point. Same here.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a plastic case for my phone. I bought it to keep the actual phone from taking all the damage. What's on the back?

Scratch, smudge, scratch, scratch, fingerprint, smudge, etc. etc. etc.

There is no way in Steve Jobs' right mind he would make something like that PLASTIC. I think three people saw total fake images of a 3G iPhone (they could never have painted one and posed it as a new one...) and these same people though that a glossy black phone would be neato. No...frickin...way. I just tried to think of any cell phone that is made of mostly plastic that costs more than $20 and I can't think of one.

If you want a glossy black phone, get it painted or buy a case.