Plastic Backing?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 215512, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 215512 Guest

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if anybody knows if the iPod Touch 2G will have plastic casing just like the iPhone? I prefer plastic much better, but I could not tell if it was plastic from the drawings released on iLounge. However, because they were curved like the iPhone I would assume they are, because metal can't be shaped that way.

-superhamster

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Metal can be shaped anyway you want. You've seen cars, haven't you? Metal behaves like a plastic, except requiring far more force to shape it. Plastic allows better radio wave penetration, which is why the iPhone moved to a plastic back. If they aren't adding GPS, Bluetooth, or any other radio the only reason left to change to a plastic back is to lower costs.

3. 215512 thread starter Guest

Cool!

That's really cool. I never really thought about cars and their shapes but that makes sense. I thought because when plastic was hot it was like putty and could be molded easier. So if it is cheaper, do you think the touch will have it? Also, if it is cheaper; why don't all iPod's use plastic?

-superhamster

4. xxfftlxx macrumors newbie

Im hoping it doesnt. even if the metal does scratch. I think apple should buy the rights to manufacture an Invisible Shield case (http://www.zagg.com/) so they can put them on all new ipods to prevent scratches.

5. 215512 thread starter Guest

Why Not?

How come you don't want a plastic case? It may be just me as I am very sensitive to senses but I find that the plastic is smoother than the metal. Also, if it is really so much cheaper, how come the Nano and the Classic don't have plastic cases?

-superhamster

6. only macrumors regular

Same. I prefer the metal back too, it gives iPods a nice touch, feel, weight and looks better. Aesthetically, I prefer the 1st gen ipt's over the tapered, plastic look of the the 2nd gen ones. Plastic backs also look cheap and will probably scratch as easily as the metal one anyways. So if there isn't a good functional reason for the switch from metal to plastic, I'll probably buy a 1st gen.

7. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I greatly prefer the metal back. I hope they stay with the metal.

Eric

8. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

So you want metal...covered with plastic? ;)

9. maximus1315 macrumors newbie

i hope they switch to plastic backs personally. i know that it would scratch easier, but it would also be a lot less visible, and to me, less annoying, because a couple days after you get your ipod, it doesnt look new anymore. and the weight/heft of the ipod is always going to be on the heavier side (for its size) anyways whether or not its metal or plastic because of all the technology crammed in there. having a plastic back would fix having all the annoying scratches that make you wish you never even touched the back when you opened it for the first time, plus it would reduce costs, hopefully producing a lower cost for the ipod touch when it comes out. plus with the plastic, that means you can start choosing different colours for your ipod touch, which so far has all been the same colour, but with a plastic backing, it would at least be possible to choose whether you want a white or black back, and in the future, possibly even more colours. i can definantly see why apple would want to switch to plastic backs for the ipod line, and im not arguing

10. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I seriously hate the metal back since it scratches like hell, but now that they're going iphone-back direction i'd soooo beg them to stay with a flat metal back. No offense to our iphone brothers and sisters but the iphone 3G or the back itself looks like my cat's pregnant stomach, in other words - UGLYNESS, TAKING IT TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL.

Apple makes impossible things possible so here we go, a possible ugly device in the beautiful perfect apple product line. When i first saw it, i thought to myself "Ppl pay 2,000$ for THIS ?!!! "

I love Apple products and i love iphone but making the new itouch (itouch itouch itouch itouch itouch....:rolleyes:) back to look like the iphone's is UN-AC-CEP-TABLE!!!! EWWWW.......

11. maximus1315 macrumors newbie

i really like the new rounded, iphone style backs. they feel better in you hand and actually reduce the volume of the ipod itself, as some of the regular sides are now rounded. its a new style and one i personally find very appealing