Plastic band cases

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brien, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

Did Apple stop selling the link bracelet/loop/etc. in the hard plastic cases? It looks like they come in the same paper sleeves as the rest of the bands now.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I believe so. When I purchased the link bracelets when they first released, they arrived in a hard plastic shell just like the Apple Watch stainless model did. I have read other members reporting it arrives in a cardboard sleeve. Apple likely made the change due to costs related factors, similarly how the Apple Watch Sport models no longer include a plastic case and now it's a cardboard insert.

3. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I'd venture a guess it's as much for environmental reasons as cost. Those cases are pretty pretty heavy duty plastic, and aren't likely used for storing the bands by most people.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have to disagree. If that's the case About the environment, then Apple could have made the same changes to the stainless model plastic box. I see it as More of a cost related decision. Apple has made a quite a few edits with in these last few years with shorter charging cables with the Apple Watch Sport, the new iPad Pro 12.9 has a shorter charging cable, the iPhone no longer includes the plastic case from the EarPods, the Sport model no longer including the charging brick, etc.

The reason Apple made the packaging changes for the Apple Watch Sport was to allow for a cheaper price point and gain additional attraction to the base model. $400.00 was priced high for the Sport model when it launched. Reducing the price point to $269.00 was a much needed move in shaky wearable market.

Apple does care about the environment, but in the above listed changes, that's not necessarily the situation here, even though your opinion fits in with Apple's environmental values.

5. Brien thread starter macrumors 68030

Brien

Yeah, I do store my milanese in the plastic case when not in use, so some of us do use them.

Too bad they cheaped out though. Guess I'll have to track down a link bracelet case on eBay.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's what I did to on eBay and purchased a second stainless steel Apple Watch plastic case, and used it for traveling to store the watch in. If you look on eBay, you can find them for sale.