Plastic buttons sleep/volume/mute durability (scratch resistance)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jackyyeow, May 21, 2012.

1. jackyyeow, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Hey guys, got my iPad 3 today, put on clear SP (hate anti-glare and am not spending a fortune on SP) and a simple folio type case with magnetic cover for wake/sleep. Have a stupid question (OCD+stupid, yeah I admit it:eek:), for those who had the iPad 1 for long time, how's the plastic keys holding up in shape, I mean, any scratches/scuff marks due to fingernails or something? I don't want to use the iPad like it's a baby but being an OCD I couldn't help to start this thread...

I know I'll get over the facts that these are meant to be wear off eventually, but just curious.:apple:

2. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Unless you're going to throw your iPad around like Salami, I would not worry about it. I have never heard anything about buttons becoming unusable.. EXCEPT for the home button, but it's rare.

3. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Got an original iPad the day it came out. It's been exposed to two toddlers. After the most recent serious drop, the Videos app won't work anymore, but otherwise it's been fine. The plastic buttons have survived immense heavy use. It's not an issue.

Dave

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

For some reason many Apple users are afraid of, or strongly dislike plastic.

I don't know why, it's a great material well suited for the job.

But anything made out of plastic, like Android phones, gets bashed by Apple lovers.

5. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all for ya input!

Tomtendo - I'm aware of the home button giving issue but what I read was more like manufacturer defects than use abuse. Actually I believe the plastic material will hold up very well, but you know, it was an OCD question so I was more concern about receiving scratches and scuff marks, well at least I'm curious if they can be scratched easily with fingernails.

Dave - thanks for sharing your experiences! However, can you also have a peek on those buttons to see if there are scratch and scuff marks too? Sorry for troubling you!:eek:

Ixode - actually I'm ok whether they're metal or plastic, in fact I think plastic is a better material for smaller electronic gadgets which more prone to dropping, they'll only receive scratches but not dents like metals (along with scratches as well!), which IMHO more unsightly.

6. mccoy015 macrumors member

I have had a horrible experience with the home button. Original iphone was fine but I returned 2 3gs's and 2 iphone 4's because my home button stop responding. It would take 3 or 4 clicks sometimes. With the iPad though, I RARELY use the home botton because I use the gestures so I'm not too worried about it.

7. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm maybe I should change the title, instead of the durability of the button mechanism, it's more the the scratch resistance of the plastic material instead.

If you guys can just do a very simple check whether you had you iPad for few days or many months - check and see if your volume/sleep/mute button has any scratches on them?

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wait, are you implying that you're basing a new iPad purchase on whether or not the buttons scratch easily?

:eek:

9. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

I got the iPad already, just want to know if the button can be scratched easily with fingernails, and if I should be careful to not accidentally used my fingernail to scratch. Yes, it annoys me if there's a scratch! Maybe I'll get over it after few months of usage.

Stupid question from a darn OCD person isn't it? That's why I stated right at my first post. Just to give you an idea of what kind of person i am, my MBA has skins applied all over including the trackpad, SP on display and keyboard cover. Not that I feel proud about it, just couldn't help it...:eek:

10. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

Read plenty of OCD related thread and I got over it and just freakin use my iPad the way I want. I have enough protections on it and as long as the screen is perfect and buttons are working, picking up small scratches along the road doesn't seems like a problem anymore now...:eek:

11. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

I used my iPad 1 a lot of times during two years and I did not had any problem with the buttoms. So I don't think that you should worry about that.

12. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

My iPad 1 buttons still look as good and function as well as they did when it was new.

14. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I pre-scratch all my new devices to give them that cool new used look. :)

15. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I cut up old silicone iOS device cases and glue the pieces over the buttons. This eliminates any chance of scratches on buttons that are made to be used and lightly abused.... :rolleyes:

16. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for those who answered with sincerity, you got my appreciations AND respects! No comments to those sarcastic posts which bound to happen in such threads.:D