Plastic cap on MacBook MagSafe T charger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Secrettrail, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Secrettrail macrumors newbie

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me. I have carefully looked after the little plastic cap that came with my MacBook MagSafe charger, as I like to keep dust out of my connectors, but today it fell on the floor unnoticed and went under the rocking chair runner. I found it later and it is totally crushed. I see apple don't sell replacements, so wondering if someone on here might have a spare from a dead or replaced cable that they might be willing to let me have? Would be really grateful,

Thank you for looking!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those are just shipping covers and not designed to be reused or sold separately. The amount of dust that could get into the connector is negligible and the connectors are designed to not have that on there.

3. EHM macrumors newbie

EHM

Secrettrail, did you ever find a source for those caps? They are useful to keep grit out of the plug and socket, something I have seen damage them. Since they are magnetic, those plugs can easily latch onto any flake of ferrous metal that comes their way, e.g. a little flake of rust, which can gum up the works.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Magsafe cable itself does not contain any magnets. The magnetic part of the connection is on the Macbook.

5. EHM macrumors newbie

EHM

Thanks for correcting my assumption, Intell. I have seen a flake get stuck in one, though now I guess it was bad luck and not magnetism. It messed up my friend's plug, and a nice Apple store guy simply gave her a new one.