Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geezabird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Surrey, UK
I was wondering if anyone could help out a panicking female here. I've recently discovered two cracks in the plastic of my Macbook.

The first one is near the hinge. A tiny, hairline crack-
crack1-back.jpg

What makes it more worrying is this crack round the other side-
crack2-front.jpg

I purchased my MacBook in September 2010 so it's still under my year warranty and I purchased the three year extended warranty as well (what with the student discount I couldn't really say no). It's the smallest, 13.3" MacBook. I have never dropped it and it's never had any knocks or bumps so the fact that these have appeared is rather worrying.
I was wondering if this is just cosmetic damage or if I should get it looked at. I'm worried the more I open and close my macbook, the bigger the crack by the hinge will get and possibly cause some serious damage. Also will the warranty cover this? To someone who doesn't know, the cracks make it look like I've accidentally dropped my MacBook meaning they're my fault.

Thanks in advance for any help

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I would take it in to the Genius bar and have it looked at. If you aren't frantic when you talk to them and just explain the situation and that you haven't dropped it, you should be fine. Especially when you're in the warranty period.

bbazzahh

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Call Applecare first. My friend had a similar issue to the crack on the back and got it fixed for free.

geezabird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Surrey, UK
Thanks guys :)

Does anyone know if I'll need to send it off or is it something they can fix in store on the day? My main concern is that I'm revising for my exams at the moment so need my MacBook until the end of May

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks guys :)

Does anyone know if I'll need to send it off or is it something they can fix in store on the day? My main concern is that I'm revising for my exams at the moment so need my MacBook until the end of May

You could ask them? explain in detail where the cracks are and how big they are as well; if you live close enough to an Apple store I would suggest going to the store and showing them and finding out how long it would take.

However if you're in the middle of school work I would just wait until you're done if it's going to take longer than a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.