Plastic ripping known white MacBook defect?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tomster2300, Jun 14, 2009.

1. tomster2300 macrumors member

I was wondering if the plastic ripping at the front edge (below the keyboard to the right, where the lid's magnet comes to rest) was a known defect on the white MacBooks. My friend was visiting New York and took his in to get it fixed, and the Apple store replaced the trackpad, keyboard and faceplate for free (he said it was all one piece so they had to replace everything anyway). Neither of us have Applecare, so I was wondering if this was just a nice gesture at that particular store, or if it was a known defect that my local store would fix as well.

On a side note, my white hibernation light in that corner no longer works. Would getting the above replaced fix that too, or is that a separate component?

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

It is a well known issue and acknowledged defect by Apple. They will replace the damaged area free of charge, even if you're out of warranty. As for the pulsating light, I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure it's a separate part.

3. tomster2300 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I'll be taking it in soon to get fixed.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Good luck!

5. andrewag macrumors 6502

Our usual Apple repair tech groans every time he comes to repair _another_ white macbook top case crack!

Very common and very annoying.

6. cristo macrumors regular

Mine's cracked too, both there and on the top where the magnets are. I'm putting off going in to get it fixed, since I've got work to do and can't give up my laptop for a few days. Does anyone know how long, on average, it takes to get fixed if I make a genius bar appointment and take the laptop in? Is it a while you wait job, or will I have to be without laptop for a few days?

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Hopefully he doesn't express his annoyance to the customer... :D

8. cactusgotamac macrumors newbie

im about to buy a used macbook on craigslist and it has that cracked on the palm rest. will i need any receipt or some kind of form, for them to fix it? or do I just go in there with the macbook and they will replace it no questions ask

9. veo321 macrumors regular

veo321

My Crack

Mine is cracking at the top by the magnets I'm also putting off getting it fixed anyone know how long it will take to get fixed?

10. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Oh yes it is a well known issue. Mine is cracked on the right and has a hair line running across to the left.

They replace this out of warranty? I had no idea!!! Mine is annoying the crap out of me and I didn't purchase applecare when I bought mine. I'm a year and a half into ownership. I am planning on buying a new macbook pro in August so I will take it into the genius then. I'll be giving the whitebook to my mother.