Plastic White 2.4 vs alu 2.0 vs alu 2.4 macbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darshan, Nov 1, 2008.

1. darshan macrumors member

Hey guys...

i was a proud owner of the plastic white 2.4 macbook... fortunately i was able to sell it off right before the new ones came out...

however i was a little disappointed that the mid-entry macbook (priced at 1299) was not having the 2.4 ghz processor...

im a uni student just about to graduate... my work load doesnt require that much CPU power ... however it gives me piece of mind knowing that if in future there were to be a new OS or heavy CPU-usage applications ill be in better hands with the 2.4 then with a 2.0

so in a nutshell im wondering on opinions from helpful users to tell me am i going to notice a dramatical difference between 2.0 vs 2.4 new alu macbook ...

i just dont want to feel like i've downgraded by purchasing a NEW MACBOOK having come from using a 2.4 version of the plastic macbook...

so how fast is 400mhz in difference (i.e. OS boot up, application usage) ... and is it worth an extra 300$ :eek: for 400 mhz + 90 GB of HDD?

let me know thx :) (sry for a long post):rolleyes:

p.s. i also wanna consider a RESALE value ... i know macs have great resale value and im wondering (in ur opinion) which would have a minimal loss in dollar value in respect to the two different models of the alu macbooks...

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I think there are many others in the exact same position as you. I would definitely feel that such a purchase is a downgrade. There is about 15% difference in the performance of all CPU intensive tasks. Graphic performance is better on the Alu MB so you wouldn't notice much of a difference. Of course it depends on what you are doing with your laptop.
    I wouldn't buy the 2,0Ghz because I would feel that I am getting less than before...
    The new 2,4Ghz model is definitely better than the White MB but only on graphic intensive tasks...Everything else is more or less on par.

If you can find the old White MB then get it

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The mid-levels hold their value longer because on the upper end, you're paying for newness.

4. darshan thread starter macrumors member

hey thx for the reply...

well i can buy the old white macbook (2nd hand)... but i really like the new aluminum case design... its much appealing and againg better when it comes to resale value...

15% seems to be a great difference in the CPU power...

however... is it really worth the 300$ price difference?

GPU power is stressed in the new macbooks but im not a huge gamer... and plus i've heard rumours here n there regarding updates to-be released to utilize the GPU for various processing needs... which i assume would release a certain level of stress from the CPU... but its still not confirmed...

5. darshan thread starter macrumors member

hey so would u say its a better buy to go for 2.0 or 2.4...

didnt quite get u...

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Sorry, my brain is broken from reading too many threads. :rolleyes:

I was saying I would opt for the standard 2.4, as opposed to the maxxed out 2.4 - but that wasn't your question :eek::eek::eek:

If you have the cash, the 2.4 is the better way to go. I think back to selling iBooks and early MacBooks on ebay and the thing everybody looks at is the CPU speed. The 2.0 will be considered the entry level and won't hold the same value, whereas the 2.4 will be available for sale for a longer period (and considered newer in the buyers mind, whether true or not).

7. darshan thread starter macrumors member

wow...

WHT A PERFECTLY EXECUTED DISCRIPTION OF THE ANSWER I WAS SEEKING... certainly made my day...

i guess money isnt an issue since im getting htis as a gift... but i dont want my brother to be spending too much money on me (i feel guilty)... he'll be receiving a employee discount...