plastidipped macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geekdude, Aug 25, 2016.

1. geekdude macrumors newbie

Hey guys I just got done plastidipping my macbook pro. The idea was to take it back to the early 90s with some beige. They don't have the same perfect color of an old mac with just the right amount of yellowing due to age, but they have cammo tan and thats good enough for me. I took the whole computer apart including the keyboard and the battery level detector circut beforehand. The plastidipping took forever. I kept having to start over becaue the plastidip kept pealing off of the edges. Its still doing that a bit. I found it helps if you spray some on the back as well. After doing multiple thin coats of tan I then hit it with some glossifier. it doesnt look that glossy but it did help knock down the texture a bit and make it easier to handle without gripping every peice of lint in a 3 mile radius. next i want to color the light up apple on the back with the original rainbow colors of the logo. All in all idk if id do it again. Its too much hastle. I might rather just actualy paint it, or get a case. I found that masking tape does not work to mask off areas. also the hole where the power button goes needs to be perfectly clean of plastidip or you will ahve problems with the power button.

IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0113.JPG IMG_0111.JPG

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Yeah, that old tan color always did make me want to throw up in my own mouth a bit. Even back in the day

I don't understand why anyone would do that. Isn't part of the appeal of Apple products that they are made out of metal, not plastic?

3. nStyle macrumors 65816

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ewww, definitely not my cup of tea. Seems like the crisp lines have been dulled with the compound that it was dipped in, and the color is definitely not something I would choose. I'd opt for colorware and there selection Capto_Capture 2016-08-26_06-38-08_AM.png

5. 0x100, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

7. Lachhh macrumors regular

This, personally. Love their stuff, though I wouldn't really go through the trouble of getting mine done up that way.
    As for yours OP, not really doing it for me either, but hey, it ain't my machine and if you're happy with it, good on you. I enjoy modifications and always enjoy looking at other peoples (even if it's not what I'd pick for myself.)

8. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

Would you not have been better hydro dipping it?

unusual, not my thing but hey it's your machine!

I have thought about acetate inside the apple logo to change it's colour on my machine but too much work for such little gain.