Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
hey guys, just wondering if there is a concensus out there regarding the best platform for netflix. tried researching a bit but not luck. I have an Xbox One and the latest ATV3. I have it installed on each but was wondering what you guys thought of each in terms of quality and user interface? Mainly for quality, does each provide the "super HD" quality? Thanks guys

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
I just use the ATV3 and it plays Netflix perfectly well with the latest firmware upgrade (earlier versions had their issues...).

Just do a comparison between your Xbox One and the ATV3 and go with whichever is best - I certainly wouldn't bother buying any other special boxes/players just for Netflix since you already have Apple TV.

Another plus - though if you are also using the Xbox it might not mean much to you - is that ATV is the ONLY way to get a Netflix subscription without having to pay Netflix directly (or register with them). A few clicks with your Apple remote and you're set (with payments subsequently coming out of your iTunes balance once your free trial is over)...

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Another plus - though if you are also using the Xbox it might not mean much to you - is that ATV is the ONLY way to get a Netflix subscription without having to pay Netflix directly (or register with them). A few clicks with your Apple remote and you're set (with payments subsequently coming out of your iTunes balance once your free trial is over)...
With Apple sales tax added no thanks. I rather pay Netflix directly.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
With Apple sales tax added no thanks. I rather pay Netflix directly.

The difference it makes (70 cents) doesn't even make me want to switch to different billing (like CC) as opposed to directly via iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.