platform noob advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by josheeee, Jul 3, 2011.

1. josheeee macrumors newbie

I have been using macs since 2005 and loved them. Of course I don´t play games on them I use my ps3 and wii for that since I know macs downfall is direct x compatibility. My work consists of digital painting and I am looking into using zbrush and perhaps 3d modelling/animation in the future. I would use modo cinema or maya so the software between platforms is not an issue. My only concern is with all this Apple news lately about them not caring about their pro market with FCX etc. Would it be wise to make my next computer a PC? I can use windows well even though it is not quite as nice as a mac. I just need a few tech reasons why I should switch to PC or why I should keep with mac. I know one is fragmented volumes via windows. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. josheeee thread starter macrumors newbie

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Since you have been with Macs for so many years and since Macs are great machines, I would like to suggest to you to stay with Macs. Apple will fix all the problems with FCX very soon.

4. josheeee thread starter macrumors newbie

5. simsaladimbamba

Are you solely basing your future computer purchase on the existence of FCP X?
    There are other NLE applications for Mac OS X out there, for instance Adobe Premiere Pro and the more expensive Avid Media Composer, both valid replacements for FCP if you don't want to use FCP X.

6. josheeee thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, both of you have missed the point completely. I originally said this:

My work consists of digital painting and I am looking into using zbrush and perhaps 3d modelling/animation in the future. I would use modo cinema or maya so the software between platforms is not an issue.

I am not into any video software, I was only refrencing to FCX because it is just another bad hit for Apple and it is starting to, imo look like Apple is going downhill with not just Software but possibly hardware. This is my question: Is the difference in price for a mac vs a pc of the same specs dramatic enough to sway me from os x to windows considering what I currently do and aim for in the future as said in the 2nd paragraph.

Any suggestions on this matter please

7. willieva macrumors 6502

You're basing your decision on the quality of a product you're never going to use? I recommend you stay away from windows as well then, Microsoft has a lot of crappy software out there.

8. knuckelz macrumors newbie

Bootcamp

I have only one single word to respond to your concerns: Bootcamp.

If you are worried that mac OS will lose the programs you need, then just get bootcamp and run windows on your mac. I have found it to be much more reliable than running windows on a PC, plus, you don't have to deal with two separate computers. You have all of your stuff on one computer. Very convenient in my opinion. My only recommendation would be a very large hard drive, as mine is rather low on space, and I did not allocate very much to my windows partition. I am now finding myself having to delete and install things on a need-to-use basis. However, had I allocated more space to begin with this would not have been a problem (I have plenty of extra space on my mac side).